Author Topic: Route for amp power cable mk2 golf?  (Read 5399 times)

Offline shaunmk2gti

• Not said much yet
  • My V dub
Route for amp power cable mk2 golf?
« on: 27 November 2008, 06:46 »
Hi does anybody know a good way of running a power cable for an amp from the battery to the boot in a mk2 golf? Please get back to me THANKS

Offline dekadent31

• Not said much yet
Re: Route for amp power cable mk2 golf?
« Reply #1 on: 27 November 2008, 08:45 »
this is hard to, better let it to do by professionals

Josho

« Reply #2 on: 27 November 2008, 15:32 »
Not really. You just need to run a good AWG (thickness size)  cable under the carpet or under the sills. Either comming from the amp power cable on the head unit or from the battery with a switch and fuse to thebo. The negative goes to a bolt on the chassis under the boot carpet. Will write a mini guide when I get my keyboard back. Windows keyboard is a b!tch.

Offline troublestarter

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 27 November 2008, 17:30 »
look in the engine bay behind the header tank
there will be several grommets to choose from run the cable through there and under the trim along the passenger side
bolt the earth directly to a seat belt bolt
do not run it from the h/u extremely dodgy and not safe
the only thing you need to connect to the h/u is the remote to turn on the amp and the rca
there is no need for a switch
www.awesomeautomotive.co.uk<br />mobile vehicle security & audio fitting service<br />insurance accredited

Offline shaunmk2gti

• Not said much yet
  • My V dub
« Reply #4 on: 27 November 2008, 18:02 »
Thanks trouble starter

Josho

« Reply #5 on: 27 November 2008, 18:07 »
OK. I forgot about remote turn on.

Running the power cable from the HU is bad? There is a cable named AMP PWR on mine. 12v.

Offline troublestarter

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 27 November 2008, 18:14 »
amp pwr is the remote turn on
never connect the main 12v+ to this it only supplys a 2ma output
most amps require a minimum of a 25 amp supply
if you connect to the h/u you could burn out the board internally as it can never supply enough current for an amp
www.awesomeautomotive.co.uk<br />mobile vehicle security & audio fitting service<br />insurance accredited

Josho

« Reply #7 on: 27 November 2008, 18:24 »
Oh, I get it. Thanks troublestarter. I knew you couldn't splice into any power cables on the HU.

Offline S11EPS

• I live here
  • No golfs here. Only a C63 mercedes
« Reply #8 on: 27 November 2008, 18:38 »
As troublestarter said basically;

Run decent guage cable directly from the battery through a grommet in the bulkhead.
Make sure you fuse the power cable under the bonnet - within 12 inches of the connection to the battery, the closer the better. If you buy a power lead with the fuse holder pre-connected it will be set in the ideal place.

You're aiming to bring your cable into the car somehwere behind the glovebox on passenger side. It will obviously come in behind the bulkhead sound insulation and carpet.
Remove doorsill trims so that you can lift the carpet sufficiently to run the power cable down the sill.
If your car has pre-existing wiring loom clips try and fit your power cable in there to keep it held in position.
If not, use nylon cable ties to secure it to existing runs of cable.

If you pass through any metal panels make sure the cable is sufficiently protected with a grommet.

When you get into the boot my advice would be to terminate that primary power cable run with a distrubtion box. This allows you to cap it off neatly and securely (with little chance of your main feed wire flapping around live, in your boot. This is also allows easy system expansion, providing the initial cable you've installed is sufficient for the current your extra devices will look to draw. Everything is neat, tidy and fused seperately.

There are a number of earth points to pick up - my personal favourite is the seatbelt mounting. Just make sure you get a good, clean area of unpainted surface to allow for a good ground.

A lot of poor systems affected by 'unexpected noise' originate with badly performed cabling. Keep it tiday, keep it secure and keep it as short as you possibly can (without being daft!) - reams of additional cable will act as an aerial and will pick up all sorts of nasties.

Try and ensure wires can't be snagged, crushed or pulled out of their connections with anything rolling around the boot. Pay particular attention to where you route cables as they come under the back seat - try and get them to pass at one side or the other rather than just simply running straight under it.

Neat is the keyword - if it looks neat, it should sound neat.

The greatest leveller of them all - the Carousel

Offline shaunmk2gti

• Not said much yet
  • My V dub
« Reply #9 on: 27 November 2008, 20:02 »
Thanks for the advice mate much appreciated will start looking on the internet for a good 12" sub and amp package