Author Topic: Best place for small amount of Dynamat?  (Read 4967 times)

Offline Gabber-Baby

• Not said much yet
Best place for small amount of Dynamat?
« on: 08 January 2008, 20:13 »
I haven't installed my sound system yet because I am still waiting on some fabric to be delivered.

I have :-

2x 12" Pioneer Subs, 400w RMS
JBL power amp with a power cap (approx 750w RMS depending on what omhage i use)
Sony Xplod Head Unit
2 x Sony Xplod 6x9's

It's really only a basic budget setup but has still got quite a bit of power, the boyfriend got most of it for me and is also installing it soon. I have got 10 feet of Dynamat which i know is no where near enough for a proper boot build so i have to use it sparingly because it's so damn expensive. I just want to know if there are any typical places in a mk3 golf that are prone to rattling? I suppose it will be the same on any 10 year old car? Could be wrong. I was going to fit most of the dynamat in the boot itself, and behind the number plates so they don't vibrate.

Any better suggestions?

Offline Len

• 10k hero
  • Guardian of the Seas, Protector of Waves
Re: Best place for small amount of Dynamat?
« Reply #1 on: 08 January 2008, 20:19 »
Wouldnt waste it behind the number plate, get some good mastic for that.

Personally I would always start with the doors and the rear panel as yours is a 3 door.
Mystic Blue Mk3 16v + Black Mk5 Gti 05 plate + Peugeot 405 Mi16

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk

Offline Heyho

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 08 January 2008, 21:16 »
Usually it would be ideal in the front doors...but as you are concentrating your efforts in the boot, use it on the largest expanses of metal/panels in that area.

It's not really used to stop rattles, but to reduce and eliminate panel resonance by adding mass. 

Alternatively sell the powercap and 6x9s, deaden the front doors and put some nice components in there. :smiley:

Offline Uruk Hai

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 08 January 2008, 21:40 »
If you dont want to blow shed loads on dynaprat then you could try this :-

http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/243009

does the same job IMO  :wink:

Offline Chris 'N' Jen

• Here all the time
  • MK4 2.0 GTi 8v in black (the best colour)
« Reply #4 on: 09 January 2008, 11:08 »
You may want to consider sending the power cap back as they are just a gimmic. They discharge in less than a second, after that they are just extra load on the system untill they recharge.

:smiley: :smiley:

Offline BaxGTI

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 09 January 2008, 20:34 »
Well, capacitor charge/discharge time (in seconds) is 5CR (5 x capacitance x resistance). So, as we can see from the box that the cap is 1.6 farads, the load would need to be 0.125 Ohms for it to discharge in 1 second... So I highly doubt this is so.

My sub has an impedance of 4Ohms according to the documentation, meaning for me with that capacitor the discharge time would be 32 secs (negating any other impedances)...

Or am I way off mark here?

Offline Chris 'N' Jen

• Here all the time
  • MK4 2.0 GTi 8v in black (the best colour)
« Reply #6 on: 09 January 2008, 20:48 »
do a search on www.talkaudio.co.uk on power caps. they can explain things better than i can.

Offline Heyho

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 09 January 2008, 21:16 »
Or more specifically: http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/vbb/showthread.php?t=20973

As for the sound deadening/flashing tape debate - you get what you pay for.  As sound deadening is pretty much just adding mass to panels in order to lower the resonant frequency of that panel, the best way to gauge the value for money is to compare weight for weight.

Look on ebay for sound deadening, and you'll come across edead - bitumen/butyl based deadening mat which looks to be jolly good value when compared with Dynamat or similar branded mat, but look closely and you'll see that although it's half the price of the "proper" deadening, it's also half the thickness, therefore half the weight.

There's nothing wrong with using flashing tape, but you'll find that you need to apply more layers to obtain the same effect as maybe one layer of a branded audio specific product. 

Dynamat also seems to trade on it's name, but there are other products out there that seem to get good press, and are better value.

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/second-skin-damplifier-bulk-p-5503.html

Offline Ashmond

• I live here
  • Money, b!tches And Boost
« Reply #8 on: 10 January 2008, 12:31 »
Wouldnt waste it behind the number plate, get some good mastic for that.

Where do you put the mastic? Because in my mk4 what rattles is the wiring for the lights and the plate
Will always love my mk4 but she had to go...225 Quattro TT in its place....but its still black (she lives on in spirit!)

Offline Len

• 10k hero
  • Guardian of the Seas, Protector of Waves
« Reply #9 on: 10 January 2008, 12:37 »
No idea what you're on about mate! I only said the plate which has nowt to do with wiring! And for that plonk a load of gunk between the plastic number plate and the cars metalwork! Then srcew it up!
Not rocket science!
Mystic Blue Mk3 16v + Black Mk5 Gti 05 plate + Peugeot 405 Mi16

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk