Author Topic: Car MP3 players  (Read 5129 times)

Offline Overseer

• I live here
Re:Car MP3 players
« Reply #10 on: 26 February 2004, 13:54 »
the clarion i mentioned has a removable facia... so ? :)
Used to have a '97 MK3 16v GTI 3dr in 'Black Magic'... now have a '55 Civic Type-S...

Offline Onge

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #11 on: 26 February 2004, 14:28 »
Just has a thought......if i get a portable mp3 player with a transmitter, i will have to use it to change tracks and volume, which will be a bit pants!!!

Be better with a car unit :)

Offline reserves

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #12 on: 26 February 2004, 20:40 »
Not with an iPod, it's not ideal but it's a solution for now!

http://www.ihavetohave.it

Offline paladin

• Not said much yet
  • Call me old and I'll smack the sh!t out of you.
« Reply #13 on: 23 March 2004, 20:21 »
Although I so believe MP3's are great, the sound quality suffers (even though I rip my own w/EAC and use a lame encoder (3.90.3 - alt. preset standard)over 7800songs 42 gigs  ;) )  Pop in a CD you still can hear a (small) difference.

It sounds like by making it easier on yourself, your starting to make it more complicated.  Bringing an MP3 player in and out of the car will get you one thing.  A lost MP3 player.

Another thing is an FM modulated signal downgrades the sound even more..

Why am I being so finecky? (Besides the fact that I'm a freak?)   Think of this, the louder you want it the more you'll notice these things, and if you love your music.. you'll want it loud.

You know what they say, 'If it's too loud,  your too old.'
'94 Mk III 2.0
Bosal cat-back:K&N w/mod.airbox:GIAC
Alpine 9815
JBL BassPro
CDT Audio HD-52 in reinforced q-form kicks
MB Quart 218.21 (mid's) in rear
QuietCar (being applied)

Offline davidhawkins_78

• I live here
  • Valver Bad Boy
« Reply #14 on: 24 March 2004, 10:11 »
I'll keep you guys posted but I've just ordered an mStation off eBay - got it new for ?80 !!!

Don't know if anyone know's of these, but it's a hard disk based system that lives in the boot like a CD changer and can connect 'in-line' via an 'Aux In' on your headunit or FM modulator as usual.

I got the base 10gig to start but it's just a standard hard disk so working in IT no problems to change for something massive and never have a CD every again !!!

Any questions give me a shout ....  ;D

'89 Monza Blue Valver
to quote a VW engineer, "the Mk1 was the prototype, the Mk2, the real thing!"

Offline Onge

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #15 on: 04 April 2004, 16:32 »
How did the mstation work out?

I nearly bought a JVC chameleon today at halfords, but they were out of stock!

Be listening to the radio for another couple of weeks then

:)

Offline davidhawkins_78

• I live here
  • Valver Bad Boy
« Reply #16 on: 05 April 2004, 10:35 »
M Station turned out to be wicked !!!!

I got a version 1 hence only paying ?80. The components of the later versions are the same, just much better build quality. It's all tucked away in the boot and if I was taking it in and out daily would have a few worries, but I only paid ?80 not ?500 so no complaints at all !!!

I got quite a mean setup already - so used the line in on my Nakamitchi head unit instead of the FM modulator and the quality was impressive.

If you can get one for around ?100-?150 then well worth it in my opinion ....

'89 Monza Blue Valver
to quote a VW engineer, "the Mk1 was the prototype, the Mk2, the real thing!"

Offline LostBok

• Here all the time
« Reply #17 on: 08 April 2004, 08:31 »
The new Alipne head units are v sweet...

I've got the slightly older CDA-9813R which just takes MP3/WMA CD's (no HDD or iPod), but they have a v good and usable system for scrolling through all your MP3 folders and track names are WAY quicker than on the much older MP3 players (my previous was a Sony CDX-MP30).

The latest range availble from 5th April (I think) are the same as mine, but they have an iPod interface, so rather than bothering with the fiddly link system and FM transmitter, etc (sound is usually pretty faint on those), you can just slap the iPod into a cradle (in you glove box / boot / wherever) and from there it will charge and the Alpine head unit then becomes the interface for the iPod.

Looked pretty funky in the brochures, but I needed a new head-unit ASAP and couldn't be @rsed to wait... even though the new MP3 head units are cheaper than the old ones like mine  >:(

They also do a mobile-hub link that does the same thing for your phone on MOST of the models (my "old" one included).

laters,
   Lostbok
LOSTBOK
Audi A4(B6): 2.5TDi Quattro Sport: Factory fitted Xenons, BOSE, and full sports leather "Soul Black / Titanium".
Mods: All OEM: S-Line bodykit, RNS-E, Bluetooth, Audi R8 FBMFSW, SDS-High voice control, full DIS, cruise control, Aero wiper mod.
In progress: 5 x OEM S4/Ronal 'Avus' 18's & 235/45ZR18 Toyo Proxes T1-R (bah! wheels delayed until WC 27-JUL-09)
Researching: Colour DIS, Freeview and DAB tuner with iPodvid/PSP/AV in for the RNS-E.