Author Topic: Where to install Amp in Mk II Golf?  (Read 4640 times)

Offline reserves

• GTI forum regular
Re:Where to install Amp in Mk II Golf?
« Reply #10 on: 05 February 2004, 17:54 »
It has been suggested on another forum that I could install the amp behind the rear door cards (MK 11), has anyone ever tried this?

Would it be cool enough here, even with a couple of 12v fans?

Thanks

R

Offline S11EPS

• I live here
  • No golfs here. Only a C63 mercedes
« Reply #11 on: 05 February 2004, 19:47 »
Hmmm, nice idea, but I wouldn't do that myself - if its installed in the rear quarter panels, it will be fixed to the inner face of the quarter panel itself - how would you fix it?

If you want to tweak the levels for any reason you have to strip the back end of the car out to get to it.

If the boot is out, and under the seat is out, does the amp fit in the glovebox?

The greatest leveller of them all - the Carousel

Offline reserves

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #12 on: 10 February 2004, 14:17 »
The amp is quite big so glove box is out, it just about fits under the seat but I think it will be messy.

After having another look at my (3 dr) Mk 11 golf there is certainly a lot of room behind those door cards.

Does anyone think that there would be enough air circulation behind there, would fans help? Also how would I run the wires up into the door card, would I have to cut the door cards?

Cheers

R
« Last Edit: 10 February 2004, 14:31 by reserves »

Offline S11EPS

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 10 February 2004, 21:17 »
I don't think is well ventilated as it's practically a sealed space. Whilst it is do-able (It won't be too hard to be able to run cables up there) I still don't understand how you're going to hold the amplifer in position, short of fixing through your rear 1/4 card (which you won't want to do). This in turn will bring its own problems, as the fixings that hold that in place will not have been designed to handle the extra load you'll be placing on them (weight of amplifier).

Looking back at your dims, your amp is no bigger than the one I installed under the seat of that Imprezza, and I would be very confident that it could be done neatly with no damage to your interior and maintaining the look of original.

Where are you in the country? I would be more than happy to help you install it, as someone thats done it successfully before. We could rip through it in a couple of hours, no probs  ;)

Blue MK2

« Reply #14 on: 10 February 2004, 22:02 »
you could make brackets behind the door cards for the amp to screw onto?

I wouldnt cut the doorcards to get the wiring in.

Couldnt you can run the cables to the boot, down the side (behind all the plastic pannels) and then behind the door cards if you get me?

I did have a look behind the door cards the other day and there is loads of room :o

some cooling fans should keep them cool :)
« Last Edit: 10 February 2004, 22:03 by Blue MK2 »

Offline S11EPS

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 10 February 2004, 22:48 »
Sorry if what I typed was confusing, as I agree you can get the wiring in that zone without screwing up the rear 1/4 panel cards. But, if you start fixing mounting brackets to it, you will.

You will also still have the problem of supporting the weight of the amplifier on the original fixings, which will potentially trash the fixings.

As for cooling fans, what arethey going to do (not being funny, but I don't get it)?. If the space is all but sealed, a fan will do nothing but move the hot air around the chamber.

In order for the fan to have an effect it needs to draw in cool air and expell hot air - it can only do this if their is an inlet/outlet, which would require further modifications to the 1/4 panel.

I don't doubt it can be done, but I think the most important thing here is keeping the interior of the car as original as possible, and mouting  the amp here is not the easiest way of doing that.

Offline reserves

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #16 on: 12 February 2004, 11:06 »
I've just been to a well known stereo installer and they reckon it should be fine to install the amp behind the rear door card. I got quoted about ?300 for the full install which I can't afford so I think I will attempt it myself.

They suggested that I bond some MDF on to the rear (inner) panel and screw the amp onto this, sounds reasonably tidy?

What do you guys think?

S11EPS, I'm 20 mins outside Brighton, East Sussex, thanks for the offer of help, I placed the amp under the passenger seat and it sticks out by about 3-4 inches and this is without wires so i think it will be too untidy!

R
« Last Edit: 12 February 2004, 11:06 by reserves »

Offline S11EPS

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 12 February 2004, 11:42 »
If they have given it the go-ahead, give it a go!

Make sure you use something that will give a real good bond for the mdf to the rear 3/4 card, as you don't want the mdf/amp assembly dropping off into the void when going over a bump!

Offline reserves

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #18 on: 12 February 2004, 23:27 »
Certainly don't want my amp moving anywhere.

I will take some pics and let you all know how it goes.

I'll be getting the little LPL44 remote bass controller for the amp so at least I can adjust the sub level without removing the rear door cards  ;)

Thanks, R
« Last Edit: 13 February 2004, 09:59 by reserves »