Author Topic: Where to install Amp in Mk II Golf?  (Read 4636 times)

Offline reserves

• GTI forum regular
Where to install Amp in Mk II Golf?
« on: 25 January 2004, 23:55 »
Hi,

I'm just about to do a full install and am wondering what options I have for installing my amp. The amp is 14" long and 10" wide,  2" high.

I really want to retain all my boot space and would like the amp to be 100% hidden if possible.

My car is 100% original (3 dr) so I would not really even want to bolt through the floor and put it under the passenger seat.

I'm not sure I want to build a false floor in the boot either!

What are my options?

Is it possible to install the amp under the rear seat? How would I cool it?

Thanks, Rich
« Last Edit: 25 January 2004, 23:57 by reserves »

Offline Dizzie

• Forum addict
  • Make friends with your fast
Re:Where to install Amp in Mk II Golf?
« Reply #1 on: 26 January 2004, 12:38 »
I wouldn't advise putting it under the rear passenger's seat as it'll get very hot!

false floors don't rob too much of the boot space. you could do something like mine. (see gallery)

A false floor and side panels square and tidy off the mk2's boot nicely :)
Mk4 Golf 150PD

Veedubgt18v

« Reply #2 on: 28 January 2004, 17:47 »
or you could reinforse the back of the seat and mount it there?

i would go false floor route tho

Offline Gothic GTi

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 30 January 2004, 13:16 »
Or you could attach it to a Stealth rear shelf. If you have enough space that is. The only prob is the extra weight (Shelf + Amp) may require new gas struts if they are knackered like mine.

Offline S11EPS

• I live here
  • No golfs here. Only a C63 mercedes
« Reply #4 on: 30 January 2004, 13:29 »
Only prob with that is heat dissipation - the heat sinks in amplifiers are designed to vent heat from a horizontal installation with the amplifier sitting the right way up, or a vertical installation.

If its installed upside down on a shelf, it may not get the cooling required.

Just a thought

The greatest leveller of them all - the Carousel

Offline Dizzie

• Forum addict
  • Make friends with your fast
« Reply #5 on: 30 January 2004, 13:32 »
it says that in the manual if I remember :)
Mk4 Golf 150PD

Offline S11EPS

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 30 January 2004, 19:26 »
Have you considered installing under the drivers seat? Never installed one there one a Mk2, so I'm guessing its do-able?

On the plus side, its totally invisible, doesn't rob you of your boot space or impede access to the spare wheel well.

On the minus side, it will be a more involved job to install, but well worth the effort. I've fited one under the drivers seat on an MY01 Imprezza, and it was ideal ;)

Offline reserves

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 31 January 2004, 00:30 »
SE11EPS, How did you secure it under the seat? I'm really reluctant to bolt it through the floorpan.

Cheers

R

Offline S11EPS

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 31 January 2004, 13:16 »
What I did was cut a piece of MDF to the size and shape of the amplifier. This was installed and secured under the carpet (you can use double sided carpe tape of very strong velcro).

Then place the amp on-top of the carpet, and secure (with short screws) through the carpet into the MDF.

The thing will never move because a) the MDF is secured to the boot floor and b) in order for the amplifier to move, the carpet has to - as the carpet doesn't move, the amp never will!

Like I say, I've never done this on a Mk2, so just make sure that the seat can move backwards and forwards without fouling the amp, and that there's plenty of room for air to circulate around the amp. Be careful choosing your poistion, as you don't want rear passengers kicking the fcuk out of it when they sit in the back!

I'm sure if I can fit one safely under the seat of a scoob (where the seats are one the deck!), you'll be fine with the Mk2

Blue MK2

« Reply #9 on: 31 January 2004, 13:30 »
if you look at my pics in the gallery.

I screwed a block of MDF in the boot using the existing holes in the bodywork. Then screwed my amp to the piece of MDF