Author Topic: What Can I Do, Suggestions Please.  (Read 5565 times)

Offline BiffaBacon

• Not said much yet
What Can I Do, Suggestions Please.
« on: 30 December 2003, 22:32 »
Eyup,

Not the most knowledgable on ICE, so take it easy. (Correct any mistakes as well)

I've got an Alpine CDA 7939R Head, JBL GTQ 360 Amp and a sub which I cant remember, fitted in my VR6.

I know the Amp only has four channels, 2 are being used for the front speakers, and the Sub. Overall the sound is crap.

What can I do to change it? I'm assuming I need another Amp somewhere for the other speakers and tweeters?

Much appreciated.

Biffa
VR6 & YZF-R6

Blue MK2

Re:What Can I Do, Suggestions Please.
« Reply #1 on: 30 December 2003, 22:35 »
Has the amp got any gain or crossover controls?

If it does then i would set the fronts with a high end output (midrange and tweet) and the sub on a low end output (bass)

What is exactly wrong with the quality?

Offline Dizzie

• Forum addict
  • Make friends with your fast
« Reply #2 on: 30 December 2003, 23:11 »
unless your amp has 'tri-mode' you've got it setup wrong. I'd run the fronts off the headunit and the sub off the amp if you don't have it. You can pickup small amps to run the fronts now for ?50 or less.
Mk4 Golf 150PD

Offline BiffaBacon

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 30 December 2003, 23:20 »
Has the amp got any gain or crossover controls?

If it does then i would set the fronts with a high end output (midrange and tweet) and the sub on a low end output (bass)

What is exactly wrong with the quality?

No idea if it has, I'll check a manual I downloaded.

In crap quality I meant only having sound coming out the front speakers and nowt out the back.
VR6 & YZF-R6

Offline BiffaBacon

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 30 December 2003, 23:21 »
unless your amp has 'tri-mode' you've got it setup wrong. I'd run the fronts off the headunit and the sub off the amp if you don't have it. You can pickup small amps to run the fronts now for ?50 or less.

Headunit doesn't have a pre-amp.

I thought that I would need another Amp, but dont have a clue about crossovers and sh!t like that.
VR6 & YZF-R6

Offline BiffaBacon

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 30 December 2003, 23:50 »
Here's a link for the Amp Manual ncase you's have any questions about it.

http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/CAR/Owner%27s%20Manual/GTQ360%20om.pdf

Thanks again for the help.
VR6 & YZF-R6

Offline Gozza

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 31 December 2003, 10:32 »
I'd run the fronts off the headunit and the sub off the amp

I would agree with this, you either run as follows,

The stereo should have 4 channels so run each tweeter off 1 channel and each front speaker off 1 channel totalling all 4, then use the sub to run the sub. Or Split 1 stereo channel between the tweeter n front speeker on the left and the tweeter n front speaker on the right and then 1 channel for each rear speaker, and again use the amp for the sub.

The 40/50 watts the head unit puts out should be more than enough to power the stereo/tweeters. Do this and it should sound nice.

Any queries, just ask. :) Hope this helps

Offline BiffaBacon

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 31 December 2003, 11:00 »
I'd run the fronts off the headunit and the sub off the amp

I would agree with this, you either run as follows,

The stereo should have 4 channels so run each tweeter off 1 channel and each front speaker off 1 channel totalling all 4, then use the sub to run the sub. Or Split 1 stereo channel between the tweeter n front speeker on the left and the tweeter n front speaker on the right and then 1 channel for each rear speaker, and again use the amp for the sub.

The 40/50 watts the head unit puts out should be more than enough to power the stereo/tweeters. Do this and it should sound nice.

Any queries, just ask. :) Hope this helps

I cant confirm the channels as I cant find a bloody manual, and Alpine dont have it on their site. Car has 6 speakers though, 2 on the dash, 2 on front door and 2 in the back, then the 2 tweeters. If I go with your setup I'm still going to need another Amp for 2 of the front and the back speakers am I not?

Also the Head unit doesn't have a pre-amp so it cant power anything as far as I'm told?
VR6 & YZF-R6

Offline Dizzie

• Forum addict
  • Make friends with your fast
« Reply #8 on: 31 December 2003, 11:51 »
if you ran your tweeters straight off the heady you'd kill them! all that bass!

If you've got separate tweeters then you should have an Xover box with 6 terminals. Connect 2 to the heady, 2 to the mid and 2 to the tweeter. simple. then run your rear speakers off the rear channels on the headunit and the sub off the amp.

if your heady doesn't have ANY pre-outs what so ever then it's got to be really old cos most have atleast 1 these days. You'll have to sacrifice your rear speakers to run the amp if that's the case.
Mk4 Golf 150PD

Offline BiffaBacon

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 31 December 2003, 12:04 »
Just ben told the Headunit has 6 RCA Pre outs, front, rear & sub. Does this help at all?
VR6 & YZF-R6