Author Topic: Mk2 + Alpine headunit wiring help  (Read 5574 times)

Offline jmsheahan

• I live here
Mk2 + Alpine headunit wiring help
« on: 13 August 2010, 09:14 »
Please bear with me as electrics are my serious downfall - they confuse the hell out of me even though I'm sure this task is simple enough  :laugh:

I have a 90 spec mk2 gti and an Alpine ida-311RR I'm trying to fit. The headunit has come with an adapter that the 2 standard iso plugs in the cars loom plugs into. This then in turn goes into the headunit. All well and good however, the headunit will not power up.

Am I right in thinking the yellow wire is a live? These do not match up from the car loom to the adapter wire. I shall post some pics later as it's easier to explain that way but any pointers or links to tutorials would be appreciated.

In addition, the stereo I had before would never work unless having the key in the ignition (didn't need to have ign on). How would I go about wiring up a constant live so the headunit doesn't forget which track it got to?

Offline troublestarter

• I live here
Re: Mk2 + Alpine headunit wiring help
« Reply #1 on: 13 August 2010, 10:16 »
swap the red and yellow round in the alpine loom (they are bulleted) that will make it keeps its memory
www.awesomeautomotive.co.uk<br />mobile vehicle security & audio fitting service<br />insurance accredited

Offline jmsheahan

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 13 August 2010, 19:40 »
swap the red and yellow round in the alpine loom (they are bulleted) that will make it keeps its memory

Cheers for that  :smiley: Having trouble just getting it to power up at the mo though. Just been out and taken some pics. Anyone know what I need to do?

2 connectors in the car loom

The Alpine adapter/wiring

The back of the headunit

The only live wire in the car loom was red/brown. That matches up to the yellow wire with the fuse in on the alpine loom so I know power is getting through. I'm guessing one of the other wires must be wrong.

Offline Ozz

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 13 August 2010, 19:44 »
The red and the red/brown wire from the car should both be live when you have the ignition on. Run the car's red/brown to the red wire from the stereo and the car's red wire to the yellow from the stereo. Think that's right anyway, just wired my h/u in the mk3 and the colours sound the same  :smiley:
Mk2 Gti 8v

Offline jmsheahan

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 13 August 2010, 20:05 »
The red and the red/brown wire from the car should both be live when you have the ignition on. Run the car's red/brown to the red wire from the stereo and the car's red wire to the yellow from the stereo. Think that's right anyway, just wired my h/u in the mk3 and the colours sound the same  :smiley:

Ok, well the red/brown wire is def the only live one with the ignition key in/on. Nothing is live when no key in. Could this be my problem?

Offline Ozz

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 13 August 2010, 23:39 »
Sounds like a problem yeh, red should be live, check your fuses as you may have shorted something out.  :smiley:
Mk2 Gti 8v

Offline jmsheahan

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 14 August 2010, 08:45 »
Cheers I shall check. Was hoping it would be just plug and play as my last headunit plugs in and works fine  :grin:

Offline troublestarter

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 14 August 2010, 10:26 »
you must have a blown fuse no'21 in the fuse box is the stereo permanent 12v supply
i also noticed the grey/blue illumination wire is cut and burnt i would seriously check all the wiring behind the dash before connecting the stereo
you may have a dead short somewhere
www.awesomeautomotive.co.uk<br />mobile vehicle security & audio fitting service<br />insurance accredited

Offline jmsheahan

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 14 August 2010, 11:28 »
you must have a blown fuse no'21 in the fuse box is the stereo permanent 12v supply
i also noticed the grey/blue illumination wire is cut and burnt i would seriously check all the wiring behind the dash before connecting the stereo
you may have a dead short somewhere

Joy  :undecided: Ok cheers I shall report back. Feckin' electrics.

Offline jmsheahan

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 14 August 2010, 14:46 »
Sorted. Was a blown fuse on 22. Traced the wires as far as I could and all looked ok. Hopefully just one of those things; will be keeping an eye on it.

Weird that the old HU worked though, that fuse must have been blown since I bought the car. Cheers for the help.