Author Topic: VW or Aftermarket  (Read 4567 times)

Offline Diggz

• Just got here
VW or Aftermarket
« on: 27 November 2009, 11:20 »
Hi guys, new on here and been browsing the forums of late.

Bought an Edition 30 Mk5 GTI last month and RCD300 system fitted. Im fairly happy with it but fancy something a bit higher specced. Ideally something that will work with a 3GS iphone or have a decent sized hard drive for music collection, and a bluetooth connection though not essential. Found a few ideas on here but still not 100%......

Been looking at the RCD 510 and the RNS 510 units on ebay, as a sat nav would also be good but - would I also need to buy an extra bluetooth kit? If so could start to get expensive and might be worth looking at an alternative.

Im not the most technical of minds so was wondering if anyone has any ideas or bought any other types of systems?

Cheers

Chris

Offline AlanD

• 10k hero
  • MK5 2.0T 16v
Re: VW or Aftermarket
« Reply #1 on: 27 November 2009, 12:15 »
If you want good sound quality I would go aftermarket.

I removed my sh!te RCD300 and replaced it with a single din Alpine unit.  I also wired in an amp and sub in the boot (I've since removed one of the subs as it was a bit overkill and I didn't need THAT much bass lol, although a wise man once said to me you can never have too much bass, well you can)

The standard speakers can JUST about handle it but my drivers side speaker sounds like its on its way out if not gone already so they are getting replaced. Sound qulaity of the Alpine with the sub and amp is MILES better and will be even better still once the speakers get replaced.

I'm currently saving up to get a double din unit as I want to get an iPod stick it in the glove box, the single din unit is a bit of a nightmare for browsing the iPod as its such a small screen. The double dins also look nicer. Im looking at Alpine and Pionner units.

More to the point, what's your budget?

Offline Diggz

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 27 November 2009, 12:39 »
Cheers for the info, looks good

Im looking just to upgrade the head unit only as this should improve the sound quality through the speakers, this would do for me

Price wise, something similar to the VW units around the £400-500 mark but ideally im wanting something that can do the iphone, bluetooth and satnav jobs. Ive got an ipod connector in my armrest but my iphone doesnt quite fit, great design!

Alpine seem to have a good range, I like the look of the Alpine IVA 505R unit on another thread but cant seem to find any prices browsing so far

Offline AlanD

• 10k hero
  • MK5 2.0T 16v
« Reply #3 on: 27 November 2009, 12:47 »
I've not really looked into the double din units yet so cant really be of much help at the moment. Just have a good proper look around and see if they are any that tick all your boxes. Any unit from a reputable manufacturer will do a decent enough job.

Have you got any car audio shops near you? There is one down the road from me and they prove very helpful. Might be worth poping into one and having a chat explaining what you want your HU to do and see what the suggest.

Offline Madmax

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 27 November 2009, 19:01 »
Alan, what size are your subs please?

Offline DanoGTI

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 28 November 2009, 13:04 »
I'm looking at either of these -

Pioneer F700/900 bt (900 is DVD) (£500 for 700bt, £6-700 for 900bt)

OR without Satnav

Pioneer AVH P4100DVD - circa £400

The DOWNSIDE of the F series is there is a quite a long boot-up time.

VERY ipod friendly though :smiley:

Will be looking at mine in the New Year :wink:

DAn

DA Productions

The fine art of diplomacy is telling somebody to "fcuk off" in such a way that they actually look forward to the journey....

Offline Madmax

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 28 November 2009, 20:16 »
Wrong thread..Please delete

Offline kyzersoze

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 02 December 2009, 18:32 »
Here are some pics of my Alpine w505R.I still have to get the proper cage for it cos it doesnt look flush as you can see and also sticks out a bit.I also have the Blackbird navigation system which docks into the system as you can see it sitting in one of the pics.through that i ofcourse get sat nav but also as it is bluetooth compatible i connect it to my phone too.i also have my ipod connnected which is sittin in my glove box.I got the tv tuner and aerials too but still have to fit them on.
Also in the rear i have the Alpine TMX-R705 shown here :

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ALPINE-7-MOTORISED-ROOF-MOUNT-SCREEN-DVD-NEW-TMX-R705_W0QQitemZ190336916620QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Audio_TV_Electronics_In_Car_Entertainment_GPS_In_Car_Audio_Players_PP?hash=item2c50f6dc8c

The unit is pretty expensive but I think well worth it.
You can probably get them from any sound shops around the £700 mark but keep your eye on ebay as theres where i got mine from in an absolutely amazing deal.
Feel free to ask any questions and also feel free to suggest any thing.

These are pics of the rear screen.

If you want to see more about it then you can visit the Alpine website too.

Offline kyzersoze

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 02 December 2009, 18:36 »
Also if I was you I would keep an eye on this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270492307991&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

If you dont want the whole job lot then just enquire about the pioneer unit.Maybe this guy could do you a nice deal????? :grin: :grin: :grin:

Offline AlanD

• 10k hero
  • MK5 2.0T 16v
« Reply #9 on: 02 December 2009, 21:07 »
Alan, what size are your subs please?

Sorry, totally forgot about this thread.

They are 8''.