Author Topic: idiots machine polishing guide needed!  (Read 3547 times)

Offline Dan J

• I live here
  • Pro Valeting and correcting paint since 95
Re: idiots machine polishing guide needed!
« Reply #10 on: 03 September 2008, 23:16 »
I personally have been using a rotary for a long time now, and i regret to say it was a cheap flea bay thing. But ive never used the pads that came with it, they went pretty much straight in the bin and i headed down to my local paint supplier and bought a selection of 3M pads. Ive never had any problems with burning paint etc, but im guessing alot of people who use them dont know what there doing.
As for compounds, ive always used 3M products too.
If im using it on fresh paint or a car that is faded or has scratches and swirls in, i use 3G which is fairly corse, and then for a glass like finish i use 3M finesse followed by hand glaze (which is obviously done by hand) the results are staggering!

3m finesse is great stuff,havent used it personally since i worked for volvo 13yrs ago,been using autosmart products for a long time now.

as said earlier in the thread rotarys should only be used if you know what your doing and know your compounds too what grades to use and where.
I EAT CARNAUBA FLAKES FOR BREAKFAST!!!

NewGolf

« Reply #11 on: 04 September 2008, 08:24 »
I now have a rotary, and what a difference compared to my old Porter Cable. Its easy to use, just as light, and takes a lot less time to get results.
I'd agree, 3M products are great, I use 3M Fast Cut Plus and then Ultrafina, on 3M pads.

Offline zoomered

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #12 on: 04 September 2008, 16:21 »
3m products are ok but if you want the baws then you wanna be using Farecla compounds, Glazes, Pads, and cloths. G3 for alot of cutting, G10 for a finer cut. And then Farecla Glaze using a Farecla Foam Pad then finish with a hand glaze. Use Farecla Yellow cloths between each stage and wash the compounding heads out between compounds.

If your new to Machine Polishing, Top tips;

Lots of Water, Messy but keeps the panel cool, alot less likly to burn through. Use a squirty spray bottle to apply water to the panel reguarly (don't worry too much about the mess itl jet wash off aslong as you do it soon after.
Never stay in the same place for a millisecond, always keep moving.
Don't press down hard, let the equipment do the polishing
Mask up trims, handles etc to stop damage
Buy a Machine Polisher with a speed control, they start from about 70 quid, start slow!!

Hope this helps
« Last Edit: 04 September 2008, 16:23 by zoomered »

Offline mortygt140

• Here all the time
« Reply #13 on: 04 September 2008, 20:58 »
Ive had my silverline blue rotory poisher for about 8 months now.  I got it from ebay but it was a company that are a sponsor on Detailing World (Kingdom Tools) so I was comfident regards the company and there reputation.

Has long as you have a scrap panel to play on its better than going and burning straight through your own car panels,  Has someone else has said you need lots of water and keep checking that the panel is not too warm,  also again G3 is a good cutting compound but be careful with it!! Meguires#83 and #80 are a good choice for alot of people and give an excellent finish. I usual seal the polish with megs #21 and ive just started using collonite 915 which is really good and last quite some time.

Darren 

Offline b300y

• Not said much yet
once a dub always a dub