Author Topic: Scuff on steering wheel  (Read 5834 times)

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Re: Scuff on steering wheel
« Reply #10 on: 06 July 2015, 22:31 »
Has anyone ever used the scuff master kit? I'm weary to use it as it maybe not colour match the rest of the wheel and then I'd have to paint the whole wheel which could have a chance of dyeing the red stitching :(

I'd avoid re-dyeing the whole wheel at all costs.  Thought you said the mark was still black?  Does it actually need dye/shoe polish then?  Can it not just be massaged out or has it taken some colour off?

Not used the scuffmaster kit but I'm looking at getting some of the Gliptone leather glue as I noticed a couple of little cuts on one of my seats, presumably from a bag strap buckle.  Barely noticeable but now I've seen it!  A tiny bit of glue should sort it and stop it catching and getting worse.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Aitchi

• Not said much yet
  • Live. love. Life.
« Reply #11 on: 06 July 2015, 22:32 »
Nah it's not black I thought it was but its not :(
2014 Golf GTI - CSG

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 06 July 2015, 22:40 »
If you really want to sort it properly, why not contact Gliptone to check if the Mk7 leather colour is available and ask their advice, a pic might be useful.

Failing that maybe you can just 'dirty' the mark with something that will blend in??
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Aitchi

• Not said much yet
  • Live. love. Life.
« Reply #13 on: 06 July 2015, 22:42 »
I'll post a pic for you tomorrow mate! Thanks for all your advice! :D
2014 Golf GTI - CSG

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 06 July 2015, 22:43 »
No probs mate, I wait with bated breath for the pic  :grin:   Is it in a very prominent position?
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Aitchi

• Not said much yet
  • Live. love. Life.
« Reply #15 on: 06 July 2015, 22:45 »
Nah mate it's right on the corner of the door side on the flat bottom of the steering wheel! I've managed to smooth it out but some of th colour has come away! I've ordered the thing u said to order and will possibly try it on the area as it's not very noticeable! But I'll send u a pic tomorrow when I'm back out at car mate!
2014 Golf GTI - CSG

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 07 July 2015, 08:08 »
My boy sunk his teeth into the top of the steering wheel of my old Passat.

Was that because you wouldn't let him eat in the car  :grin:

Too right.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #17 on: 07 July 2015, 08:49 »
My boy sunk his teeth into the top of the steering wheel of my old Passat.

Was that because you wouldn't let him eat in the car  :grin:

Too right.

:grin:  Mean Daddy!  :grin:
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #18 on: 07 July 2015, 11:53 »
And you've never made your daughter stand outside the car to eat a sandwich at the services?
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #19 on: 07 July 2015, 13:18 »
And you've never made your daughter stand outside the car to eat a sandwich at the services?

:whistle:......on a regular basis. 

I had a momentary lapse last week, when I allowed her to eat a croissant (yes, a very, very flaky pastry) in the car as it was raining.  I very nearly cried when I saw the mess.  The 'no eating' rule is once again being reinforced with renewed vigour!  :evil: :grin:

2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual