Author Topic: Recommend me a snow foam?  (Read 8925 times)

Offline Ormy72

• Not said much yet
Re: Recommend me a snow foam?
« Reply #10 on: 10 January 2015, 19:22 »
Autobrite Magifoam

Offline JamesR27

• Here all the time
« Reply #11 on: 12 January 2015, 20:30 »
Slightly off topic but what do you use to wax and polish as that shine is awesome
MK 7.5 R Pure White, Pretoria Silver, DCC, Rear Camera.
Gone - MK 7 GTI Carbon Grey, Rear Camera, Service Pack.
Gone - MK 6 GTI  Reflex Silver, Monza Shadows, RCD 510, Rear Camera, Bluetooth, Tyre Pressure Sensor, Xenons Convenience pack, Service Pack :)
Gone - MK 5 GTI Reflex Silver, Monza II 18's, Luxury Pack, Mulitchanger

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 13 January 2015, 06:55 »
Slightly off topic but what do you use to wax and polish as that shine is awesome

If you mean my pics?? they were taken just after a simple snow foam (Valet Pro Advanced) and usual 2 bucket wash (DJ Supernatural shampoo), and a quick rub of Mothers Mag and Aluminium Polish on tailpipes. 

Previously, back in Sept, I waxed using Dodo Juice Blue Velvet Pro which seems to be going strong and is still beading nicely.  Prior to that I did a full decontamination - tar remover, iron remover, clayed, and then polished with a DA using Poorboys SSR1 and SSR2 on CG hex logic pads.  Finally sealed with Poorboys Ex-P and then the blue velvet wax.

To be fair my car has been pampered since new and only ever washed/detailed by me, so have tried to keep paintwork looking good and swirls to a minimum. 

I'm a bit of a detailing product junkie and have tried all sorts but trusted favourite waxes/polishes include:

Wax:
DJ Blue Velvet Pro
Collinite 915
DJ Supernatural hybrid
Chemical Guys Butter Wet Wax

Polish:
PB SSR polishes
Lime Prime and lime prime lite

Sealant:
Poorboys Ex-P sealant
Poorboys Black Hole Glaze
« Last Edit: 13 January 2015, 07:00 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 13 January 2015, 14:59 »
I ran out of snow foam so gave AG shampoo a try just to see what it would do. I was very impressed with the results. I'd say it shifted much more than the Valet Pro snow foam that I usually use.

It can be expensive if you buy it in the shops at around £9 per litre, but if you are able to catch one of the vans delivering to the trade, you ought to be able to buy 25 litres for £40.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 13 January 2015, 16:51 »
I ran out of snow foam so gave AG shampoo a try just to see what it would do. I was very impressed with the results. I'd say it shifted much more than the Valet Pro snow foam that I usually use.

It can be expensive if you buy it in the shops at around £9 per litre, but if you are able to catch one of the vans delivering to the trade, you ought to be able to buy 25 litres for £40.

Interesting.  Was the AG just a normal shampoo or a concentrate?
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #15 on: 13 January 2015, 21:54 »
The regular shampoo and conditioner.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 15 January 2015, 21:14 »

Was looking at £20 online for 5 litres I'll take the 25 litres at £40 please.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
On Order: Mk8 R, Pure White, Reversing Camera, Harmon Kardon, Heated seats all round.
Gone: Mk7.5 R, 5dr, DSG, Deep Pearl Black, 18” Cadiz, Nav, Winter Pack, Keyless, Dynaudio and Reversing camera.
Gone: Mk7 R, 5dr, DSG, Limestone Grey, 19" Pretoria's, Nav Pro, DCC, Winter Pack, Keyless, Mobile Prep and Reversing Camera.
Gone: Mk6 GTD, 5dr, Manual, Tornado Red, 18" Vancouvers, RCD510 + Dynaudio, heated seats.

Offline KyleB

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 16 January 2015, 11:55 »
Booth, I'm always toying with the idea of getting a DA. Is it hard to get it to look good without the paint being full of swirls? Do you also need a garage ideally? Mine isn't big enough to do a full polish in.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #18 on: 16 January 2015, 17:55 »
    Booth, I'm always toying with the idea of getting a DA. Is it hard to get it to look good without the paint being full of swirls? Do you also need a garage ideally? Mine isn't big enough to do a full polish in.

Kyle, it's pretty straightforward with a DA really, once you get over the initial trepidation, lol,  and so long as you take it slowly, don't rush and prepare properly.  A DA is well worth the initial outlay imo, especially for a darker colour car that shows up the slightest swirling  :angry:

A garage or workshop is preferable, especially one with a good light source. You can do it outside but light needs to be good and you're at the mercy of the weather.  If doing it outside and over more than a day, Definitely garage the car overnight.  I don't have use of my garage (it got turned into a gym!) but luckily have use of an industrial unit.

I'm by no means an expert but here's a few tips:

- Assess the condition of the paintwork and level of switling / marring, so you know what level of correction  is required
    - Prepare the paintwork prior to polishing - tar remover, iron remover, claying etc, to ensure it's free of all bonded contaminants.
    - Tape up all trim.
    - Take it slowly and split panels up into manageable areas. 
    - Start with the least abrasive pad and polish combo and step up to more abrasive polish / pad as necessary. 
    - Stop and inspect at regular intervals to see how you are progressing.
    - Use a small LED torch to check for swirls.
    - Once you've primed the pad with polish make sure you place it flat on the paintwork before switching on DA, otherwise the polish will fling off everywhere.
    - You might need to do several passes.

There's plenty of good guides on sites like detailing world and how to videos on youtube.  Worth checking a few out before you begin.

Oh, and finally, prepare to have aching arms!   :laugh:  :smiley:[/list]
    « Last Edit: 16 January 2015, 18:21 by Booth11 »
    2012 MK6 GTI DSG
    2008 MK5 GTI DSG
    2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
    « Reply #19 on: 16 January 2015, 18:00 »
    I have a Maguire's DA and was nervous at first, its not hard to remove swirls really (time and patience and prep). I think just take caution on the abrasive you use I went for the lightest Poorboys SSR 1 to start with on my mk6 GTD, I have just ordered the SSR2 for the mk7 R as the swirls were terrible looking as its VW washed car over and over it will needs some work.

Also gone for Valet Pro Ph Neutral Snow Foam in 5 litre form and some Poorboys Nattys Paste Blue as I have the red and its great on the Tornado Red GTD so going for the blue on the R.

Plan is

Snow Foam
    Double Bucket Wash
    Clay
    Wash again...
    Tape up
    SSR2 remove the swirls with DA
    Poorboys EX-P Sealant
    Followed by the Nattys Blue Wax.
    Along with poorboys wheel sealant on the wheels.

This combo seemed to work well on the GTD just need the warmer weather bring on march.
    Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    On Order: Mk8 R, Pure White, Reversing Camera, Harmon Kardon, Heated seats all round.
    Gone: Mk7.5 R, 5dr, DSG, Deep Pearl Black, 18” Cadiz, Nav, Winter Pack, Keyless, Dynaudio and Reversing camera.
    Gone: Mk7 R, 5dr, DSG, Limestone Grey, 19" Pretoria's, Nav Pro, DCC, Winter Pack, Keyless, Mobile Prep and Reversing Camera.
    Gone: Mk6 GTD, 5dr, Manual, Tornado Red, 18" Vancouvers, RCD510 + Dynaudio, heated seats.