Author Topic: Alloy scratches...  (Read 2208 times)

Offline Aidey

• Here all the time
Alloy scratches...
« on: 29 August 2014, 16:03 »
Ive got a few scratch marks on the alloys, just surface marks , you can't feel them when you touch the wheel, could i get these out?
Owner Mk8 ClubSport
Sold Mk8 Golf R....
Sold Gti DSG 2020 Performance Indium Grey .....
Gti Sold... ClubSport Edition 40 , ... Sold Aug 2018....

Offline scoobyc

• Not said much yet
Re: Alloy scratches...
« Reply #1 on: 29 August 2014, 16:30 »
Lick your finger then rub it across the scratch, (seriously), then you'll see if it "virtually" disappears. Should give you a good indicator if it will polish out, in which case get some compound and polish the lacquer down. Even just polishing it will improve it as it will round the edges of the scratches and stop them from catching the light so much.

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #2 on: 29 August 2014, 18:22 »
Would something like Autoglym super resin polish (which has stuff in it that fills scratches as well as polishing the surface) do it?
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline SI74

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 29 August 2014, 18:31 »
Be better with a real polish. You want them gone not filled.  SRP only has about a 1 in a scale of 1 to 10 in cutting.

Offline Ginge 35Edition

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 29 August 2014, 19:07 »
Meguairs 205 and then 105 with a rotary polisher. SRP won't do anything other than fill the scratch, two weeks will go by and you'll have to do it again.

Offline Aidey

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 29 August 2014, 20:14 »
thanks for the suggestions guys, i will have a go next week, not sure I'm expert enough but i'll try
Owner Mk8 ClubSport
Sold Mk8 Golf R....
Sold Gti DSG 2020 Performance Indium Grey .....
Gti Sold... ClubSport Edition 40 , ... Sold Aug 2018....

Offline scoobyc

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 29 August 2014, 23:26 »
SRP will help but as above it is more "filling" than cutting and so when it wears off it will disappear, if you apply Extra Gloss protection it will last a bit longer. Anything you try will make it better to be honest, just it might not last that long eg srp's filling properties will be washed off before too long. Have you any polish that is slightly more aggressive to save you buying things you might not use again?