Author Topic: Removing faint scratches?  (Read 3169 times)

Offline adekil

• GTI forum regular
Removing faint scratches?
« on: 06 July 2014, 10:20 »
I noticed the other day I have very faint non deep spurious scratches on the right hand drop of the drivers side bonnet and would post photos but the pictures make it look a lot worse than it actually is, although on black paint in sunlight my mate noticed it from a distance. Probably cat claws that caused the scratches and a BB gun will sort that long term.

What would you use to remove these scratches that is also not too abrasive and would I apply just to this area or elsewhere around it to blend in? Hopefully something simple I can pick up from Halfords or something.....
Current(2024): MK8 Golf R, Pure White, RV Camera & 19" Estoril Diamond Cut

Offline mistertee

• GTI forum regular
Re: Removing faint scratches?
« Reply #1 on: 06 July 2014, 11:39 »
Autoglym srp, it's proven over many years to be great for small scratches. You'll need to wax over the top of it to seal it though. Halfords do it for around £11

Offline phazer

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 06 July 2014, 13:31 »
Autoglym SRP doesn't actually remove the scratches it contains lots of fillers that give the appearance the scratch has gone. If you combine it with a sealant rather than wax you will prolong the life of the fillers before you have to do it again. If you want to use SRP, Autoglym do a matching sealant EGP Extra Gloss Protection.

Given the hardness of VW paint, the only way to remove them permanantly is via a machine polish. They sound like either swirls in which case a light polish will sort them, or the odd sort of scratches that cars arrive from the factory with either during loading or transportation but again easy enough to sort.

Offline Fabio Bignose

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 06 July 2014, 14:18 »
Has anyone tried AG 'paint renovator' or maguirs 'ultimate polish' ?

I too have some light scratches but am cautious to use these for fear of damaging the clearcoat. T

The AG paint renovator does say it's safe for clearcoat though...

Whilst SRP is a great polish it hasn't removed my light scratches.
Mk7.5 GTD. DCC, Keyless, Dynaudio, Tech pack, Alarm, Isaac Blue
Mk7 GTD. Xenons, 18", Climate Control, Keyless, Alarm, ( all optional in Ireland...! ) Dynaudio, DCC,
CSG.
Mk6 GTD. Alarm, CSG.

Offline peterdoherty

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 06 July 2014, 14:33 »
I've used gtechniq p1 by hand to remove light scratches
MKVII GTD DSG Carbon Grey 5DR, Dynaudio, Keyless Entry, Rear View Camera, Colour MFD, Park Assist, Winter Pack, Climate Screen, Advanced Phone Kit, High Beam Assist

Offline Fabio Bignose

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 06 July 2014, 14:52 »
Did the G techniq have any adverse effects on the clearcoat?
Mk7.5 GTD. DCC, Keyless, Dynaudio, Tech pack, Alarm, Isaac Blue
Mk7 GTD. Xenons, 18", Climate Control, Keyless, Alarm, ( all optional in Ireland...! ) Dynaudio, DCC,
CSG.
Mk6 GTD. Alarm, CSG.

Offline phazer

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 06 July 2014, 15:42 »
All abrasive polish affects the clear coat, that's how scratches are removed  :smiley:

Using the right product(s) and techniques means you'll be safe. P1 is a decent polish to have for hand polishing, it doesn't need breaking down like some do and will keep polishing as long as you work it - check scratch/swirl removal often make sure you're not over polishing.

Much more info over a detailing world...

Offline mistertee

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 08 July 2014, 13:19 »
Paint renovator is fine, I've used it.  As mentioned above, paint renovator is a proper polish rather than srp which is a filler that you have to then seal to keep it in.

Detailing world will keep you busy for many weeks looking over all the exhaustive articles.  The general rule is : use as little cut as possible, work your way up to harder compounds.

Offline JBirchy

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 11 July 2014, 09:00 »
Did the G techniq have any adverse effects on the clearcoat?

As mentioned above, all abrasive polishing will have an affect on the clearcoat, but unless something drastic happens it certainly won't be adverse.

The polishes mentioned above are all very filler heavy (with the exception of GTechniq P1). SRP is not abrasive in any way shape or form, it is a chemical paint cleaner with loads of fillers and IMO only really should be used after all 'polishing' has taken place to be used as a base for a LSP product. It may temporarily mask the scratch/swirls but it will not remove them. Paint Renovator is an abrasive polish but it's still filler heavy.

The only way to remove the scratches properly is to remove some of the clearcoat. As a general rule of thumb there is around 50-70 microns of clearcoat on top of the colour coat*, and even with wet-sanding a scratch from my bonnet, machine polishing back in 3 stages I only removed 6-7 microns. To remove this amount of clear, you need to introduce some heat into the paint and you can only really do that with a rotary machine polisher. Polishing by hand may give a reasonable result but it will take ages as by not introducing the heat that you can with a machine, the level of cut is massively reduced.

If you want to have a go, I'd suggest using a proper abrasive pure polish with no fillers such as Scholl S17+ (medium compound). IMHO (after lots of trialling in my early detailing hobby!) Megs Ultimate Compound or any Autoglym polishes just aren't up to the job.

*Paint finishes can vary from the factory and may be more or less depending on whether they have had any previous polishing. Only really safe way to check is with a paint depth gauge.

Sorry for the long post, just thought I'd shed some light on clearcoat thickness and information about polishes/filler heavy glazes.

Jon
« Last Edit: 11 July 2014, 09:04 by JBirchy »
MK7 GTI 3-Door DSG, Tornado Red, Discover Nav, Winter Pack, ACC, Keyless Go, Reversing Camera, Service Pack... Ordered 28th Oct... Collected 1st March!

Offline JBirchy

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 11 July 2014, 09:03 »
Sorry, double post.
MK7 GTI 3-Door DSG, Tornado Red, Discover Nav, Winter Pack, ACC, Keyless Go, Reversing Camera, Service Pack... Ordered 28th Oct... Collected 1st March!