Author Topic: Unwanted Mascots - Bugs on Bonnet  (Read 3646 times)

Offline AGB

• I live here
Unwanted Mascots - Bugs on Bonnet
« on: 10 October 2010, 18:49 »
Hey Guys

I've been having a great deal of difficulty cleaning bug splats off my car, in fact, I've failed miserably and have that residue silhouette you get after you've lifted the remains. I've got a black car (non-pearlescent) and they just stand out so obviously after I've dried the vehicle.

To save myself pain when I do a full wash, I wipe the car down after any lengthy journey and use Autoglym bird dropping wipes followed by warm kitchen towel applied to the offending splat just to soak the insect body/legs off.

Car was protected from new with Autoglym Super Resin Polish, it was around the time of the volcano so was keen to get some protection on it! That said, there are a few marks which won't budge. I had thought of polishing them out with T-Cut but aside from polishing the car after every time it's washed, thought there must be another way. I also don't want to end up spending my way through every insect remover/miracle polish on the market.

Does anyone have any pearls of wisdom they'd be kind enough to share?

Thanks a lot

Alex
MK7 Clubsport S, 981 Cayman GT4, MK7.5 GTI TCR

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: Unwanted Mascots - Bugs on Bonnet
« Reply #1 on: 10 October 2010, 19:03 »
Elbow grease. Lots of it, and don't use anything abrasive.
I tend to shove a coat of quick detailer on the paintwork after I've cleaned the car and that seems to stop the worst of things sticking to the paint.
« Last Edit: 10 October 2010, 19:53 by Exonian »
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 10 October 2010, 20:09 »
Elbow grease. Lots of it, and don't use anything abrasive.
I tend to shove a coat of quick detailer on the paintwork after I've cleaned the car and that seems to stop the worst of things sticking to the paint.

oxymoron?

anyway... to answer the op

try a pre-wash soak in an APC solution using something like Autosmart G101 or Megs APC... if you have access to a pressure washer then pressure wash this off.. then wash in your normal fashion

you will probably find that some bug residue is bonded quite well into the clearcoat: in this instance claying is the answer... followed closely by a wash and then a polish using something like dodo lime prime and then protect it using a couple of coats of wax... something like collinite 915 should do you right :wink:

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 10 October 2010, 20:23 »
Brilliant. Thanks guys, I shall give that a go.
MK7 Clubsport S, 981 Cayman GT4, MK7.5 GTI TCR

Offline musicman87

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 11 October 2010, 09:34 »

Car was protected from new with Autoglym Super Resin Polish, it was around the time of the volcano so was keen to get some protection on it! That said, there are a few marks which won't budge. I had thought of polishing them out with T-Cut but aside from polishing the car after every time it's washed, thought there must be another way. I also don't want to end up spending my way through every insect remover/miracle polish on the market.

Hi, i was under the impression the Autoglym SRP (or any other polish for that matter) will not protect the paintwork as such, it just cleans it ready for the protection layers (sealant, wax). Therefore once polished, a layer of Collinite as suggested by Guy will do the trick.

Whatever you do, please dont ruin the paint by using T-Cut, it is too abrasive and will not do the paint any good. As Guy says, claying, followed by a wash and a layer of sealant or wax is a much better way. That layer of wax should make it easier to clean next time round.

Before I wash my car, i spray a bit of Autoglym Active Insect Remover on to the offending bugs and let it soak for a few minutes. This normally does the trick!

Hope this helps
55' Tornado Red 3-Door GTI, Manual, 17" Monza's, Totally original!

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 11 October 2010, 10:10 »

Hi, i was under the impression the Autoglym SRP (or any other polish for that matter) will not protect the paintwork as such, it just cleans it ready for the protection layers (sealant, wax). Therefore once polished, a layer of Collinite as suggested by Guy will do the trick.

Whatever you do, please dont ruin the paint by using T-Cut, it is too abrasive and will not do the paint any good. As Guy says, claying, followed by a wash and a layer of sealant or wax is a much better way. That layer of wax should make it easier to clean next time round.

Before I wash my car, i spray a bit of Autoglym Active Insect Remover on to the offending bugs and let it soak for a few minutes. This normally does the trick!

Hope this helps

spot on

will the AG AIR affect your wax layer at all?

Offline musicman87

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 11 October 2010, 11:46 »

Hope this helps

spot on

This is a concern for definite, i try not to let it sit on the paint for too long and only use when absolutely necessary! It does smell quite citrus like and not so much like acid. However, currently i only use Megs Techwax Liquid i.e. not the best quality wax and therefore not sure how it affects real wax. I'll soon be upgrading to Dodo Purple Haze for the real Carnuba effect!

However, after a real heavy detailing weekend out in the sunlight as opposed to my garage, i have noticed that the paint is in shocking condition, the car is 5 years old and the previous owner must have had a fetish for the local ARC car wash - it almost looks Matt and full of swirl marks and scratches which means my hard work is never going to look perfect. In desperate need of a machine polish i think!

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 11 October 2010, 11:58 »

Hope this helps

spot on

This is a concern for definite, i try not to let it sit on the paint for too long and only use when absolutely necessary! It does smell quite citrus like and not so much like acid. However, currently i only use Megs Techwax Liquid i.e. not the best quality wax and therefore not sure how it affects real wax. I'll soon be upgrading to Dodo Purple Haze for the real Carnuba effect!

However, after a real heavy detailing weekend out in the sunlight as opposed to my garage, i have noticed that the paint is in shocking condition, the car is 5 years old and the previous owner must have had a fetish for the local ARC car wash - it almost looks Matt and full of swirl marks and scratches which means my hard work is never going to look perfect. In desperate need of a machine polish i think!

well if you are keeping it till next year you might as well protect it for the winter and then polish it up come spring ;)

Offline musicman87

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 11 October 2010, 14:15 »

Hope this helps

spot on

well if you are keeping it till next year you might as well protect it for the winter and then polish it up come spring ;)

Yeah i'll be keeping it for a couple of years, i've sealed and waxed it up ready for the winter grime and come next March time i think i will invest in the services of a good detailer to try and rescue the paintwork! It is 5 years old and has covered 60k and i don't think its ever seen a coat of polish or wax before! Looks OK from a distance after my efforts but as you very well know it's a different story under the right lights!

Will have to be saving up for a full correction detail!

Offline PRD

• Just got here
« Reply #9 on: 14 October 2010, 09:59 »
hi mate, we offer our full correction detail for a good competitive price. if you want to know more then you can email us at perfectreflectiondetailing@yahoo.co.uk we can send you our DVD showing you our work. keep up the good work on the car mate.