Author Topic: Engine defects on 2.0 8v golf GTI  (Read 1266 times)

Offline skinleeproductions

• Just got here
Engine defects on 2.0 8v golf GTI
« on: 15 April 2016, 09:18 »
Hi guys, I bought a 2.0 8v GTI with 117k on the clock. paid £600 for this little baby but I've had a slight concern from the start. The car had its cam belt and water pump replaced 6k ago so it's been serviced regular but sat doing nothing for the last 7 months. When it's running there is a smell from the exhaust which I instantly linked to a valve stem seal problem since I've smelled similar on one of my old motors which also had valve stem seal trouble. I'm not certain this is the problem but I'm after advice here. When the car is first started it does have a tappetty rattle when you Rev it coming from the top end but stops once the oil has warmed up. It doesn't smoke generally but occasionally I will see a small puff of blue around once per week perhaps and I'm just in the process of monitoring whether it's using oil as I only bought this car on Saturday. Is there anyone who can give me any pointers or advice as to whether I have bought a bad one or not? The car looks and drives lovely all apart from a small wobble in the revs whilst idling. Any pointers are much appreciated

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
Re: Engine defects on 2.0 8v golf GTI
« Reply #1 on: 15 April 2016, 20:29 »
Stem seals id have thought youd see blueish smoke from exhaust.

Not too bad to do if it is the problem.

Throtle body may need a clean. Could sort the idle out. Failing that stick it on diagnostics and chech throttle position

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
Re: Engine defects on 2.0 8v golf GTI
« Reply #2 on: 15 April 2016, 23:20 »
Tapping noise can be injectors but they don't normally get quieter as oil warms up.

My money would be on the hydro cam followers, stem seals are prone to go with cars this age (in particular if cheap oil was used and oil change intervals were streched). Relatively easy to replace but cam needs to come out for followers. Stem seals are a bit fiddly but with pressure adapter in spark plug hole can be done without head off.

Well at least on a mk3 above is true...... thought I was in mk3 section  :whistle:

Mk4 2.0 may just burn oil anyway. They are more prone to do that than the old 2.0 type 827 engines in the mk3.
« Last Edit: 15 April 2016, 23:21 by itavaltalainen »
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles