Author Topic: Airtech FMIC  (Read 1363 times)

Offline Tardis79

• Just got here
Airtech FMIC
« on: 12 April 2016, 21:25 »
I've just returned from a couple of power runs at a local tuning garage. More out of curiosity than anything else I wanted see what performance difference/improvement there was (if any) after fitting the Airtech front mount intercooler and pipe work. I'd done lots of research into this area and it's a minefield of information around what to believe/choose on the market. I've written this post in the hope that it may help others who are considering installing a FMIC.
The car is a mk4 gti that was running at 199 BHP prior to the Install. I had hoped tentatively to see a little increase in power but nothing like the outcome. We did two runs this afternoon on the rolling road, the second recording 231BHP. Needless to say I was somewhat surprised/shocked and very very please with this. An increase of circa 32BHP Soley because of the intercooler. So in short, the Airtech FMIC is certainly more than in the running if you re thinking of doing this modification. At just under 500 notes it's not cheap but I really think you do get what you pay for with this area of modifying so don't scrimp if you can help it! A couple of last bits - firstly there were NO other mods or alterations done - ONLY the FMIC. Secondly I have both printouts of the power runs - the first one three or for weeks ago prior to the install and the second one from today. I can post them if needed for any doubters! Hope this post is useful
Tim

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
Re: Airtech FMIC
« Reply #1 on: 12 April 2016, 21:59 »
Thats a good gain from a front mount.
More than id have thought.

Whats the dimensions of the intercooler, just out of curiosity

Offline Tardis79

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 13 April 2016, 09:38 »
It has a 60mm core
Height 340mm
Width 680mm
Thick 60mm.

Offline RnP

• Here all the time
  • Audi S4 gone, looking for b5 rs4
« Reply #3 on: 13 April 2016, 18:29 »
That does sound impressive but intercoolers don't add hp they allow the engine to run more boost safely by lowering the charge temp.

Apologies if I've misread the post but without tweaking your map to suit 32 hp seems a little far fetched.

Out of curiosity did you have the power run at the same tuners before the fmic went on ?

Offline Tardis79

• Just got here
« Reply #4 on: 13 April 2016, 18:36 »
Yes I am fully aware of what an intercooler does - cools charged air which in turn means it is denser. Denser air burns more efficiently leading to a more efficient effective combustion process and hence increases in Power...
If you read the post again you will see that I have both the before and after graphs for both power runs, done by the same company, and the same person with all the relevant information. If I knew how to upload a photo I would post them. It is very likely that the original SMIC was failing/hindering the performance. Either way it is a very good example of what a good quality intercooler can do when fitted correctly.

Offline RnP

• Here all the time
  • Audi S4 gone, looking for b5 rs4
« Reply #5 on: 13 April 2016, 18:45 »
You more then likely had a defective smic.

Use photobucket to upload pics fyi

Offline Dalo Harkin

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 18 April 2016, 12:34 »
£500 does seem steep compared to a welly cooler but each to their own I suppose.
ARZ K03s, Oettinger Side Skirts, R32 front, Carbon stage 2, Forge 007p (yellow spring), Forge Actuator (yellow spring), Pipercross panel filter with DSG parts, N249 and N112 deleted, SAI deleted, Carbon canister deleted, Rear wiper deleted, Long Life turbo back custom exhaust with 200 cell sports cat, VR6/G60 clutch kit, Creation Motorsport TIP, Catch can, 'Wellycooler', K04 charge pipe, S3 ported inlet manifold - looks pretty standard on the outside though :)