Author Topic: Mk4 Golf GTI AGU Mods?  (Read 2558 times)

Offline Josh9420

• Just got here
Mk4 Golf GTI AGU Mods?
« on: 02 April 2016, 22:32 »
Alright people! Ive had a mk4 golf 1.8t AGU for 5 months now and it's at 89.8k.

Bought it for 1700 and part exchanged a mk3 mondeo tdci with faulty injectors.

I think I got a bargain to say it's in pristine condition
Pictures in link below
http://pho.to/A5uoI

Anyway It's had waterpump + aux belt + damper change at 80k.
I had to replace the clutch pedal as it dropped on me before Christmas, and I put in a aftermarket air filter and the ignition amplifier fried, so I replaced that and removed the aftermarket filter :grin:

Anyway I want to start modding it and don't know what to do first.

I've watched mighty car mods for a few years now on YouTube and they did a mk4 pretty much how I wanted mine.

Next few weeks I'm going to get 3D gel carbon font on aluminium plates.

--- Important bit ---
Revo Map - £299 - Overated or should I go for the cheaper option and get it mapped at a local tuning garage for half the price

Forge 007p Dump Valve - Getting this no matter what, so does it matter if I get a map after the dump valve or should I get it mapped first?

Exhaust - what should I go for? Don't want something to expensive, but something that sounds nice

Alloys - Right, alloys always make a car, so what should I go for? I don't want reps because they are reps..
I think at the moment they are 5x100

Induction kit- Is it worth it? If so, what brand? If not, I've seen the Revo sponge that replaces the card like filter in the box

What order should I get all this done if it was your car, and what advice would you give
Me yourselfs.

I plan to make a build thread (if you could class it as a build) in the future just to show progress
I'm a car enthusiast, really love everything about cars, but I only have a few basic knowledge on the mechanical side it's self. So it's all new to me in this case  :smiley:

Thanks in advance!

« Last Edit: 02 April 2016, 22:44 by Josh9420 »

Offline MoMartin

• Here all the time
Re: Mk4 Golf GTI AGU Mods?
« Reply #1 on: 06 April 2016, 15:51 »
Don't make the mistake I made, modify it before you get it remapped.

What I'd recommend for an AGU is -
K03s Turbo - Bolt on fit and can pick up cheap.
Front mounted intercooler - you might need the r32 front bumper too, to house it.
Performance exhaust - Milltek are one of the popular choices but maybe a bit expensive for you.
S2000 Filter or a Pipercross panel filter, your choice.
Forge 007p / 008 Recirc valve.
A larger turbo intake pipe (TIP).

Then get it Remapped.

Shortly after the remap you might see your clutch slipping, in which case, upgrade it to -
VR6 / G60 Clutch / Flywheel

With all of those mod's you would see an easy 230bhp.
Without changing the turbo you'll see about 180-200bhp.

I'm sure there's stuff I've missed, but that's the main stuff.

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
« Reply #2 on: 08 April 2016, 18:38 »
Good bit of advice :afro:

1999 1.8T: R-Tech remap - 225bhp/256lb/ft : K03s : THS FMIC : THS PCR pipe : 2.5" stainless exhaust : THS FR3 Engine mounts : G60/VR6 clutch : Calibra Yellow injectors : VR6 MAF : Devils Own WMI : Forge 007p : Carbonio CAI : Leon Cupra R Brembos : FK AK Street coilovers : Votex skirts : Anniversary front : click ---> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=92175

Offline gti gurl

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 14 April 2016, 00:38 »
It's all down to what you like really. Some people might find one thing tacky and others might love it if you want to mod it sod what others think if you like it do it lol

P.s I don't mean to come across rude or anything but I know so many people that slate other people's choices and it really winds me up sometimes #RantOver  :smiley:

Im no cactus expert but i know a prick when i see one !!!

Offline Scott D

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 14 April 2016, 01:24 »
Good advice there Martin

As already said swapping the turbo for a K03s is the main thing followed by supporting mods. Just make sure turbo is in good working order, might be worth getting a new or upgraded actuator.

Decat downpipe will free up flow as standard pipe is a big restriction. If current exhaust is in decent condition and on a budget I wouldnt bother going for a full system changing downpipe alone will do the job

Plenty of turbo intake pipes available but supersize by SFS is the one to go for do make a difference and proven to work for best gains.

Above mods with a good remap should see around 210-230 and a decent amount of torque.

Just keep on top of maintenance
2003 1.8T GTI 180 - APR Stage I, S2000 Filter, R-Tech Supersize TIP, Bilstein B12 Suspension, 18" OZ Superleggera, Recaro Heated Leathers, US Spec Rear Lights, N249/SAI/PCV Delete

1.8T AUQ - 241bhp & 286 ft-lb
R-Tech Map, Forge FMIC, SFS Oversized TIP, Ported Manifold, Milltek Turboback non res exhaust, Forge 007p, N249 & N112 delete, SAI delete, S2000 Air Filter, Sachs clutch & Lightweight Flywheel

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
« Reply #5 on: 14 April 2016, 18:02 »
Get fis or half fis clusters and tweaks like mte switched on. Retrofit cruise, remote locking etc if not already on it. (Give me a shout if you want to know more about that - did a few of these).

Will make it stand out a bit more for yourself.
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline Dalo Harkin

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 19 April 2016, 08:36 »
As Mo said really, with all those mods done you'll be running a stage 2 (look at my sig) and then if you want to start doing cosmetics then that's up to you.

Wellycooler is the cheapest option for FMIC but personally I needed an R32 front to hide all the pipework properly

You'll also need yellow springs in the 007/008 and the actuator (if you go for FORGE ones)

You'll want 1 range cooler plugs too when all the mods are done (mine still runs quite hot) so you may want to factor WMI in the costs further down the line too  :smiley:

I'd buy a knackered K03s and then get it refurbished, I've had one in the past that was supposedly 'great condition' there was no play or anything and lasted 3 months....
ARZ K03s, Oettinger Side Skirts, R32 front, Carbon stage 2, Forge 007p (yellow spring), Forge Actuator (yellow spring), Pipercross panel filter with DSG parts, N249 and N112 deleted, SAI deleted, Carbon canister deleted, Rear wiper deleted, Long Life turbo back custom exhaust with 200 cell sports cat, VR6/G60 clutch kit, Creation Motorsport TIP, Catch can, 'Wellycooler', K04 charge pipe, S3 ported inlet manifold - looks pretty standard on the outside though :)