Author Topic: Large turbo on Medium power build?  (Read 3399 times)

Offline MoMartin

• Here all the time
Large turbo on Medium power build?
« on: 25 March 2016, 21:56 »
Hi, I've seen a GT35 setup for the 1.8t that I'm interested in, but with my current specs my car can't exceed 300bhp / 300ftlb. As I'm aware this turbo is overkill for what I'm wanting, but I have big ideas for my car in the near future, so it would be silly to get a smaller turbo just to upgrade it a few months down the line.

Am I being stupid or what?

Thanks in advance

Offline Dalo Harkin

• I live here
Re: Large turbo on Medium power build?
« Reply #1 on: 29 March 2016, 08:54 »
you have to start somewhere if chasing more power, may as well start with the most important part  :grin: from what I remember / have read you will need quite a lot of mods to get that running smoothly
ARZ K03s, Oettinger Side Skirts, R32 front, Carbon stage 2, Forge 007p (yellow spring), Forge Actuator (yellow spring), Pipercross panel filter with DSG parts, N249 and N112 deleted, SAI deleted, Carbon canister deleted, Rear wiper deleted, Long Life turbo back custom exhaust with 200 cell sports cat, VR6/G60 clutch kit, Creation Motorsport TIP, Catch can, 'Wellycooler', K04 charge pipe, S3 ported inlet manifold - looks pretty standard on the outside though :)

Offline MoMartin

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 30 March 2016, 16:27 »
I've read that I would need to upgrade:
The injectors
Fuel pump
Turbo Intake Pipe
MAF

Then obviously I would also need another remap too.

And I already have a FMIC, uprated clutch, full turbo back 3" exhaust and a forge 008 recirc valve.

However, after reading in to the gt35 a bit more, It looked like a complete overkill for this car. I wanted to eventually see 400ish bhp, but even then, that would be a silly idea on a fwd car.

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 30 March 2016, 16:38 »
I could be tempted to sell my 1.8t 4 motion for the right offer  :smiley:

Offline MoMartin

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 31 March 2016, 13:08 »
I could be tempted to sell my 1.8t 4 motion for the right offer  :smiley:

What are it's specs?

Offline Dalo Harkin

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 01 April 2016, 08:59 »
I struggle to get the power down on mine in second gear, imagine yours with a GT35  :laugh:
ARZ K03s, Oettinger Side Skirts, R32 front, Carbon stage 2, Forge 007p (yellow spring), Forge Actuator (yellow spring), Pipercross panel filter with DSG parts, N249 and N112 deleted, SAI deleted, Carbon canister deleted, Rear wiper deleted, Long Life turbo back custom exhaust with 200 cell sports cat, VR6/G60 clutch kit, Creation Motorsport TIP, Catch can, 'Wellycooler', K04 charge pipe, S3 ported inlet manifold - looks pretty standard on the outside though :)

Offline rockmonkey69

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 01 April 2016, 18:44 »
Yea, Fwd doesn't lend itself well to bigger horsepower. You'll be fine with a gt35 running low boost, but you'll need a low psi wastegate spring. 3" MAF is fine for horsepower goals.

Offline MoMartin

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 02 April 2016, 19:24 »
I struggle to get the power down on mine in second gear, imagine yours with a GT35  :laugh:

That's half the fun of it!
Might be going for a not-so powerful k300 hybrid now.

Yea, Fwd doesn't lend itself well to bigger horsepower. You'll be fine with a gt35 running low boost, but you'll need a low psi wastegate spring. 3" MAF is fine for horsepower goals.

Thanks for the tips, I've decided that the GT35 is probably a bit too large for what I'm wanting, well for a fwd car anyway!

Offline Dalo Harkin

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 03 April 2016, 09:24 »
A maxed K03s is still great fun and surprises enough people for my liking, anything else is too much imho

Offline MoMartin

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 03 April 2016, 21:00 »
A maxed K03s is still great fun and surprises enough people for my liking, anything else is too much imho

What power are you running?