Author Topic: Droning sound from rear  (Read 3799 times)

Offline bgbazz

• Here all the time
  • If it aint broke...I can fix it!
Re: Droning sound from rear
« Reply #10 on: 28 March 2016, 21:31 »
That's fine...yes, there is an inner and an outer bearing in each hub. Did you do the work yourself, or was it a proper workshop? It's very important that the stub axle shows no sign of wear because that would mean that a failed bearing has been turning on the axle itself (a big no no) and even a new bearing will have little chance of surviving very long. A really good clean, followed by generous amounts of hi-temp bearing grease as it's all being put back together would be a good help. The correct torque settings on the big nut is essential.

Not trying to teach you to suck eggs and I hope that the above is helpful.
Mk4 Golf TDI Estate 4Motion, remapped 1.9. Sweet runner = keeper. She is the 66th vehicle I've owned and hopefully, the last.

Offline cromwell

• Not said much yet
« Reply #11 on: 30 March 2016, 22:40 »
Hi Bazz- re. my original post- jacked car up- no real 'wriggle play' detected, but the rear nearside wheel didn't seem to rotate quite as freely as the offside- not a huge difference though. It did also seem slightly noisier when spinning.
The drone sound has increased in volume when driving over the last few days and is now much louder at speed, and also the noise is apparent at lower speed now.
Does this all point to the bearings on the nearside do you think? If so- what do you advise? Clean and re-pack or just replace? Not done wheel bearing change before either- relatively straight-forward job or PITA? Do you know a link to a good guide?
Thanks very much.
Cheers
James

Offline bgbazz

• Here all the time
« Reply #12 on: 31 March 2016, 07:59 »
Hi James...it seems to be pointing at the n/s wheel bearing because the wheel should rotate freely and silently...the fact that it's getting worse is cause for prompt action. Personally, I wouldn't bother with the clean and repack exercise as it sounds (no pun intended) like it's gone too far for that.

If you have a reasonable workshop at home, the job is pretty easy and there are any number of You Tube videos you can watch to help you through the process. Obviously a local mechanic/workshop should be able to do it for you without a fuss. A tip to save you some cash, if you outsource the job...remove the hub yourself, give it a clean and then take it to the repair shop...if you have the new bearings at hand, the job will be much quicker and cheaper. Some bearings will pop straight out with a little help with a brass drift (or a six inch section of broom handle) and go back just as easily, but I've had some which needed a hydraulic press.

Sorry I can't help with a link, but I'm sure someone on here can point you in the right direction.

Give some thought to doing both sides at the same time...might save you some time down the line a bit.

Lets know how you go.  :wink:
« Last Edit: 31 March 2016, 13:54 by bgbazz »
Mk4 Golf TDI Estate 4Motion, remapped 1.9. Sweet runner = keeper. She is the 66th vehicle I've owned and hopefully, the last.

Offline bgbazz

• Here all the time

Offline cromwell

• Not said much yet
« Reply #14 on: 31 March 2016, 09:31 »
Ok, great. Thanks for the advice and link. I'll let you know how I get on.
Cheers
James

Offline gazareth

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 04 April 2016, 01:35 »
the wheel bearings on the mk4 come as 1 piece not like the mk3 and mk2 1s that you have to grease yourself and then assemble in the hub.

Offline gazareth

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 04 April 2016, 01:41 »
Ok, great. Thanks for the advice and link. I'll let you know how I get on.
Cheers
James
I would be checking for a seized piston in the brake calliper if one side has worn down more than the other. it might run quiet when it is cold but as the disc heats and expands everything will start binding and give you a droning sound. them alloy callipers are very prone to corrosion around the piston seals.

Offline bgbazz

• Here all the time
« Reply #17 on: 12 April 2016, 18:08 »
How did you get on with this problem James?

Sorted yet?

Offline Mr_Orange

• I live here
  • MK4 GTi Turbo Exclusive 150 AUM
« Reply #18 on: 16 April 2016, 07:52 »
Might not cover all the symptoms/scenarios you guys are having, but the inner edge of the tyres can often wear a bit peculiar and effectively become stepped, this also causes such noises. Run your hand around the edge and feel for steps between the treads.

Build thread clicky

Offline cromwell

• Not said much yet
« Reply #19 on: 17 April 2016, 22:42 »
Hi Bazz- finally got around to sorting this today- been using the missus' car lately.
Bearings and hub came in one piece from GSF which made the job easier and I bought a decent gear puller and separator to tackle the job. All went fine- inner race was stuck on as expected, but separator pulled it off no problem. A test drive seemed to indicate that it's sorted.
Thanks once again for your help.
Cheers
James