Author Topic: Droning sound from rear  (Read 3800 times)

Offline cromwell

• Not said much yet
Droning sound from rear
« on: 22 March 2016, 07:41 »
Hi- I've got a 2001 Mk.4 2 litre. Recently changed the rear brake discs and pads. Now I have noticed a droning sound coming from rear nearside. I have checked the brakes, all seems ok (plus just had MOT-all fine).
The droning isn't noticeable at low speeds, just at high speeds on motorway- the faster I go, the louder it becomes. The brake change may have nothing to do with it, although the pad on the rear nearside wheel (where the noise seems to be coming from) had completely gone and written off the disc, hence the change.
Thought perhaps wheel bearing?
Any advice much appreciated.
Thanks
James

Offline bgbazz

• Here all the time
  • If it aint broke...I can fix it!
Re: Droning sound from rear
« Reply #1 on: 22 March 2016, 08:19 »
The wheel bearing would be a good place to start...jack up that wheel and give it a spin and wriggle test.
Mk4 Golf TDI Estate 4Motion, remapped 1.9. Sweet runner = keeper. She is the 66th vehicle I've owned and hopefully, the last.

Offline bgbazz

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 22 March 2016, 20:01 »
I'm guessing you sorted the problem.
Mk4 Golf TDI Estate 4Motion, remapped 1.9. Sweet runner = keeper. She is the 66th vehicle I've owned and hopefully, the last.

Offline cromwell

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 23 March 2016, 07:07 »
Hi- not sorted yet! I'll do the 'spin and wriggle' test at the weekend. I take it that if the wheel doesn't rotate as freely as the other one, and if there's more 'wriggle play' than the other wheel, then it's a fairly safe bet that it' the wheel bearing at fault?
Cheers
James

Offline bgbazz

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 23 March 2016, 11:37 »
Pretty much...it should spin freely, without any sound, although sometimes you will hear it just lightly touching the brake pads. You can sometimes detect a grumbly feeling, rather than a sound if you hold your hand on the wheel as you rotate it. Any wriggle play, as you've mentioned, is a good indicator.

Sometimes it happens that the bearings are merely loose and removal, repacking with the correct grease and refitting to the correct torque can cure the problem, but I would rather replace them both to be sure. I've not long cured the same problem on my wifes car....sound totally disappeared. Cost me about 30 pounds and an hours work.

Hope that helps you.

Offline cromwell

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 24 March 2016, 07:07 »
Thanks Bazz. I'll let you know how I get on.
Cheers
James

Offline bgbazz

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 26 March 2016, 16:32 »
Any joy with that problem mate?

Offline reedy20vturbo

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 28 March 2016, 18:25 »
I have the same problem it's coming from the rear right and gets worse when turning left I've just had the wheel bearing replaced and two new tyres and no change, it's at its worse at 60mph and stops at 70 and starts at 40, any ideas?

Offline bgbazz

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 28 March 2016, 18:44 »
Just a small question...you mention 'wheel bearing'(singular)...was it only one, or both? As you probably know, there are two bearings in each rear hub. Not everyone is so pedantic, but I change/replace all four of them at the same time.

It's not a 4motion is it?...other things to consider, if it is.

Offline reedy20vturbo

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 28 March 2016, 19:44 »
I only had one side replaced and that's the side making the noise, I never knew there was two per side? It's a 2002 1.8t, not 4mo
« Last Edit: 28 March 2016, 19:48 by reedy20vturbo »