Author Topic: Cycle Rack - VW Roof Bars or Thule aftermarket?  (Read 57608 times)

Offline si.griffiths

• Not said much yet
Re: Cycle Rack - VW Roof Bars or Thule aftermarket?
« Reply #60 on: 19 July 2014, 11:52 »
Mk 7 GTD, 3 Door, Tornado red, Leather, Discover Sat-Nav & Keyless entry.

Offline JB GTI

• I live here
« Reply #61 on: 19 July 2014, 12:49 »

Thanks. I have just been to my dealer and bought a set of the VW roof bars. Pushed a bit and got them for £192.
The box looks big. Is it full width on the golf ??
« Last Edit: 19 July 2014, 22:34 by JB GTI »
Now Gone: 3dr GTI Carbon Grey Performance Pack Dynaudio
Discover Nav Park Assist Rear Camera
Picked Up: 15th March 2014

Now Gone 3dr Golf R Lapiz Blue, DSG, Dynaudio, 19" Pretoria's, Discover Nav, Keyless, Rear View Camera
Picked Up: 1st March 2015

Now Gone Too: Mk7.5 Golf GTi Performance 5dr Indium Grey DSG Dynaudio 19” Brescia Alloys Vienna Leather Keyless Entry/Start Panoramic Roof 90% Tints Park Assist Rear View Camera Voice Activation Dynamic Lane Assist/DLA

Offline si.griffiths

• Not said much yet
« Reply #62 on: 19 July 2014, 13:14 »
Yeah, it is big but it doesn't overhang the front and the boot opens all of the way with no problems. Yes again, it's full width (well, virtually). I looked at the touring 200 (similar width but a little shorter) and the motion 600 (long but narrow). Gotta take 2 adults and 2 kids to the south of France for a couple of weeks tomorrow so need the bigger space without compromising on too much style.

Take a look at the Thule website for a million and one different styles and sizes but buy elsewhere, I paid just less than £300 for the box which seemed the cheapest out there as far as I could find.

Offline JB GTI

• I live here
« Reply #63 on: 19 July 2014, 18:11 »
I think I will probably go for the Thule Touring 200 then  :wink:
Thanks again for the info

Now ordered: Thule Touring 200. Will post a couple of photos so anyone interested can compare between the two different size roof boxes on a Mk7 Golf :undecided:

« Last Edit: 24 July 2014, 20:42 by JB GTI »

Now Gone 3dr Golf R Lapiz Blue, DSG, Dynaudio, 19" Pretoria's, Discover Nav, Keyless, Rear View Camera

Now Gone Too: Mk7.5 Golf GTi Performance 5dr Indium Grey DSG Dynaudio 19” Brescia Alloys Vienna Leather Keyless Entry/Start Panoramic Roof 90% Tints Park Assist Rear View Camera Voice Activation Dynamic Lane Assist/DLA

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #64 on: 23 July 2014, 17:58 »

Wouldn't mind seeing this from an end on shot if possible?
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline JB GTI

• I live here
« Reply #65 on: 24 July 2014, 20:45 »
Thule Touring 200 now fitted using VW Roof bars

Now ordered: Thule Touring 200. Will post a couple of photos so anyone interested can compare between the two different size roof boxes on a Mk7 Golf :undecided:

Offline si.griffiths

• Not said much yet
« Reply #66 on: 02 August 2014, 00:15 »

It looks the same as JB GTI's roof box from the front and rear. I'd post photos but I do everything from an iPad and haven't figured out how to blank out the number plate?!?

Offline JB GTI

• I live here
« Reply #67 on: 05 August 2014, 21:09 »

It looks the same as JB GTI's roof box from the front and rear. I'd post photos but I do everything from an iPad and haven't figured out how to blank out the number plate?!?

So do I. I use iPhoto. It was already installed on my iPad. Just select brushes from the options on the bottom row then repair. Top tip. Use capacitive zoom to make the picture as big as possible to make a neater job of it.  :wink:

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #68 on: 06 August 2014, 13:32 »
Hi guys, looking for a set of roof bars to suit my 5 door GTD. As has been mentioned, the genuine VW ones seem awfully expensive with the whispbar from (roofbox.co.uk) coming in quite a bit cheaper.

I do like the OEM flush fitting look, but according to the above website, the whispbar are also available in a flush fit like the VW ones, but have the advantage that just the foot packs need to be changed to suit a newer vehicle when eventually the Golf goes in years to come, which I quite like the idea of.

My question is, as I understand it, due to the aerodynamic profile of the whispbar, the bars themselves seem quite wide. I'm wondering if my existing bike rack (from a few years ago) will fit, or if that will have to be replaced as well. Are the VW genuine bars quite wide as well or are they alos aerodynamic profile in nature ?
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline 205Rallee

• Not said much yet
« Reply #69 on: 06 August 2014, 22:03 »
I bought Whispbar through bars for my Mk7 GTD 5 door as I wanted the extra width for 3 bikes. They are mega easy to take on/off once they are set up, are very low profile, make virtually no noise and have negligible effect on fuel economy. Also in the opinion of my teenage son they look so much better than the VW genuine ones which look really big and tall.

I've got 3 Thule pro ride 591's on the Whispbars and the bolts just slot into the track and the bike carrier is bolted onto that, I don't think it makes any difference how wide the bars are.