Author Topic: TUNING 312mm Front Brake conversion  (Read 49729 times)

Offline Paul86S2

• I live here
Re: 312mm Front Brakes
« Reply #20 on: 27 May 2009, 22:23 »
Getting there, the pitch is wrong you need 1.5 not 1.75

Need to be M12 x 1.5 pitch x 40mm long grade 10.9 or better (higher)

Paul

Offline Mikester

• Forum addict
  • Civic Type R
« Reply #21 on: 07 June 2009, 19:02 »
So i have 288mm brakes,

If i change the carriers, stick 6m spacer in, use the longer bolts and chuck on some 312mm discs, i still use my orignial calipers.

And therefor original 288mm pads? As surely if i dont change the caliper it still wants 288mm pads?

Or am i missing something here?

Would it also be advisary to fit braided hoses to help? And what would this do to my abs system?

Offline Paul86S2

• I live here
« Reply #23 on: 12 June 2009, 12:40 »
So i have 288mm brakes,

If i change the carriers, stick 6m spacer in, use the longer bolts and chuck on some 312mm discs, i still use my orignial calipers.

And therefor original 288mm pads? As surely if i dont change the caliper it still wants 288mm pads?

Or am i missing something here?

Would it also be advisary to fit braided hoses to help? And what would this do to my abs system?
Sorry missed this.

Yes you need the larger carriers, with a 6mm spacer between the carrier and its connecting point. (This is because the 312mm discs have a differant offset). 6mm longer bolts but you will get away with 5mm to make them 40mm long. Use your original calipers and yes your original 288mm pads.

Braided hoses are meant to be better because the shouldn't expand, but if your rubber hoses are all good then leave the on. Shouldn't affect your abs system at all, but it might work a bit more often with the extra braking power at the front.

Remember you will need at least 16 inch wheels to fit this lot under.

In case your wondering why this will work better considering you are using the same size calipers and pads it is because you are gripping the outside of a larger diameter disc. Think of a pushbike wheel spinning it is a lot easier to stop it on the edge that from the centre.

Paul

Offline P6UL K

• Here all the time
  • VW Golf Mk3 GTi 8v 1997 FTW.
« Reply #24 on: 04 July 2009, 14:56 »
I've just bought on the 'bay all this:

This auction is for a complete front brake setup.

These brakes are off of my Mk5 Golf GTI. I have only taken them off as i have upgraded.

This setup can be used as a performance enhancement for most other golf model's.

Included:-

Golf GTI 312mm Front Brakes
This auction is for a complete front brake setup.
These brakes are off of my Mk5 Golf GTI. I have only taken them off as i have upgraded.
This setup can be used as a performance enhancement for most other golf model's.
Included:-
1 x pair of 312mm vented disc's
1 x pair of splash gaurds
1 x set of useable pads
1 x pair of carriers
1 x pair of calipers with hoses

I got quite a good deal on it all....  But is it all the right gear and will it fit?

I take it you are fitting these to a MK3.

The offset on the VAG 312mm discs is wrong for the MK3 so you will need to put 6mm spacers or washers between the carriers and the fixing points. You will also need the correct grade bolts that are 6mm longer than standard. Standard is M12 x 1.5 by 35mm long.

If your car has the 288mm brakes you can use your existing calipers and hoses in the new carriers. If not use the new calipers and hoses you have bought.

You will need a minimum of 16inch wheels to fit these brakes under.

Paul

Thanks for your reply Paul...

Yes they will be going on a mk3, mine currently has the 280mm brakes as its the early GTi spec.

I currently run 17" Competition rims anyhoo...

Oh, are these the bolts i will need then chap? 

http://www.imperialinc.com/items.asp?item=0111961

Just trying to fit my 312's today, got all the bolts i needed, but the 312 discs are fouling on the hub! :(

On placing them on the hub they foul the mounting holes for the carriers.....  This can't be right can it?  :sad:
« Last Edit: 04 July 2009, 15:36 by P6UL K »
Cheers,

Paul.

Offline Ess_Three

• I live here
« Reply #25 on: 04 July 2009, 15:34 »
No, it can't...
Discs must be wrong.

I have 312s on my Mk3, and swapped discs from my 2001 S3 on and off easily...so your discs must be incorrect.

Reducing my Golf count by the week....
..but gaining motorcycles.

Offline P6UL K

• Here all the time
  • VW Golf Mk3 GTi 8v 1997 FTW.
« Reply #26 on: 04 July 2009, 20:58 »
Trust me their wrong...... I have pictures.

Even the carriers don't line up wit any of the bolt holes.

So.... I have either bought the wrong stuff OR my hubs are different to everyone elses  :cry:
Cheers,

Paul.

Offline Ess_Three

• I live here
« Reply #27 on: 06 July 2009, 08:37 »
Trust me their wrong...... I have pictures.

Even the carriers don't line up wit any of the bolt holes.

So.... I have either bought the wrong stuff OR my hubs are different to everyone elses  :cry:

Just read the above posts...does thet really say Mk5 GTI?

If so, that's why they won't fit.
Wrong hubs for the brakes, wrong bolt pattern for your wheels, wrong offset for your discs...
If you have Mk5 GTI stuff, you have a lot of very expensive paperweights, I'm afraid.

It's Mk4 4Motion/Mk4 Anni (petrol)/Mk1 TT/Mk1 S3 stuff you need.

Mk5 golf has 5 x 112mm PCD for a start...not 5 x 100mm.
It's just useless to you, if you have a Mk3.

Reducing my Golf count by the week....
..but gaining motorcycles.

Offline Len

• 10k hero
  • Guardian of the Seas, Protector of Waves
Mystic Blue Mk3 16v + Black Mk5 Gti 05 plate + Peugeot 405 Mi16

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk

Offline Dan_GTi8v

• I live here
Re: HOW-TO 312mm Front Brake conversion
« Reply #29 on: 05 December 2010, 22:47 »
can you do anything with the rear brakes? looks a bit strange with an alloy on the front full of disc and the one on the back with a piddly little excuse for a disc hiding in the middle
20vt conversion, sig pic coming soon!

Build thread http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=167291.0