Author Topic: MK 6 GTI on 5th Gear  (Read 30148 times)

Offline VWKev

• I live here
  • Please Support Non-Human Rights
Re: MK 6 GTI on 5th Gear
« Reply #70 on: 07 July 2009, 12:00 »
It's available to view here for those that didn't catch it. Here.

Were you guys watching the same review as me?! Some of you guys need to take off the rose-tinted glasses. I heard him use words like average and underwhelming to describe it.

I did learn a lot of things about Dick Turpin that I didn't know though.

Yeah its average and underwhelming, I think I did hear him use those words. Think he also said its still the best hot hatch. Wonder what he thinks of the mk5 then.  :grin:

GTI mk6, 3dr Manual (Yes Manual! If I wanted a Taxi I'd hail one, not spend £1500 on one), Candy White, Full Leather, Xenons, ACC, 18", RCD510 + Dynaudio, DAB Radio, Winter Pack, Luxury Pack, Fiscon Bluetooth Plus, Golf R LED's.

"Some say he drives a Shopping car, and that his car dent was actually a beauty spot....all we know is he's called Captain Failboat"

Offline AlanD

• 10k hero
  • MK5 2.0T 16v
« Reply #71 on: 07 July 2009, 12:07 »
How much longer are people going to go on about it being a "mk5.5"? Surely that's exactly what it is, didn't VW even say something along those lines?

Without trying to state the obviously thats not what it is. Its a MK6 otherwise it would still be a MK5 but a facelift version, which it isnt, ist a new model. VW openly stated that production of the MK6 was brought forward as the MK6 is cheaper to manufacture than the MK5 (before people, Kev, take that the wrong way I'm not saying its in any way inferior) you might getting yourself confused with that statement.

Offline Rolfe

• I live here
« Reply #72 on: 07 July 2009, 12:53 »

Im just HUGLEY disappointed with VWs lack forward progress with the MK6. IMO its a MK5.5. It doesn't look all that different to the MK5, it wont go all that faster (seriously 10bhp is nothing). The interior is SLIGHTLY different to the MK5. You look at the improvements made between MK4 and MK5 then compare that to MK5 and MK6. If I was in the market for a new motor I'd SERIOUSLY be tempted to get as late and low mileage ED30 as possible and then go on a fantastic holiday / mod it into a serious weapon with all the money iv saved.

How much longer are people going to go on about it being a "mk5.5"? Surely that's exactly what it is, didn't VW even say something along those lines?

I've got that message, but I'm not worried about it.  I'm upgrading from an 11-and-a-half year old 118,000 miles-on-the-clock Peugeot 306 GTi-6 which I've had from new, and really, whether it's a Golf GTi 6 or a Golf GTi 5.5 is pretty much irrelevant to me.  Nobody has anything bad to say about the Mk5, and nobody is seriously suggesting that the Mk6 is worse than the Mk 5, so I don't have a problem with it.

(Maybe my bank balance has a problem with it, but that's a slightly different question.)

Rolfe.

Offline VWKev

• I live here
« Reply #73 on: 07 July 2009, 13:31 »
I'd probably bet that most who say its a mk5.5 are mk5 owners and people that know nothing about the mk6 and are just feeding off info from the the other bandwagon jumpers.

For those of you that don't know, and for those that are too lazy to check for themselves, here are some differences.

*note, not all changes are necessarily better, just noting the differences*

The body is different from the panels, to the lights, to the grills, the exhausts etc, they are different. Alloys (shadow). XDS differential, updated ESP, DCC/ACC, a different engine (ok, not totally different but modified TSI over FSI), its lower to the ground than the mk5, bi-xenons, different interior with better quality parts used, its cleaner, greener and more fuel efficient, and cheaper on your pocket due to less tax banding, engine is quieter, sound generator, sound dampening when driving is different and thats all i can think of from the top of my head at the moment.

Of course one or two touches are subtle and I totally understand that for the glass half empty mk5 owners you are trying to justify in your head that your car is still really good and the best, well sorry its not, nothing lasts forever. Dont get me wrong, the mk5 is still a gem of a car, its just a shame their owners were not still as classy.

GTI mk6, 3dr Manual (Yes Manual! If I wanted a Taxi I'd hail one, not spend £1500 on one), Candy White, Full Leather, Xenons, ACC, 18", RCD510 + Dynaudio, DAB Radio, Winter Pack, Luxury Pack, Fiscon Bluetooth Plus, Golf R LED's.

"Some say he drives a Shopping car, and that his car dent was actually a beauty spot....all we know is he's called Captain Failboat"

Offline Egbutt Wash

• I live here
« Reply #74 on: 07 July 2009, 13:44 »
Mk7 due to be shown in 2 years.
I hope it is lighter and smaller than the current model (as VW have hinted).

I buy cars when there is something really interesting and different from my existing car (the DSG gearbox this time).  A MK7 GTI petrol/electric would be good.  If Honda's next Civic Type R is released as a hybrid (Honda is adding electric to all it's four pot engines in time) then I would be very keen.

I would never buy a car just to slightly update the one I've got, that's just dull.
Currently digging a bunker.

Offline VWKev

• I live here
« Reply #75 on: 07 July 2009, 13:50 »
Mk7 due to be shown in 2 years.
I hope it is lighter and smaller than the current model (as VW have hinted).

I buy cars when there is something really interesting and different from my existing car (the DSG gearbox this time).  A MK7 GTI petrol/electric would be good.  If Honda's next Civic Type R is released as a hybrid (Honda is adding electric to all it's four pot engines in time) then I would be very keen.

I would never buy a car just to slightly update the one I've got, that's just dull.

Geesus, I actually agree with one of your posts.  :grin:

Offline AlanD

• 10k hero
  • MK5 2.0T 16v
« Reply #76 on: 07 July 2009, 14:08 »
I'd probably bet that most who say its a mk5.5 are mk5 owners and people that know nothing about the mk6 and are just feeding off info from the the other bandwagon jumpers.

For those of you that don't know, and for those that are too lazy to check for themselves, here are some differences.

The body is different from the panels, to the lights, to the grills, the exhausts etc, they are different. Alloys (shadow). XDS differential, updated ESP, DCC/ACC, a different engine (ok, not totally different but modified TSI over FSI), its lower to the ground than the mk5, bi-xenons, different interior with better quality parts used, its cleaner, greener and more fuel efficient, and cheaper on your pocket due to less tax banding, engine is quieter, sound generator, sound dampening when driving is different and thats all i can think of from the top of my head at the moment.

Of course one or two touches are subtle and I totally understand that for the glass half empty mk5 owners you are trying to justify in your head that your car is still really good and the best, well sorry its not, nothing lasts forever. Dont get me wrong, the mk5 is still a gem of a car, its just a shame their owners were not still as classy.

Kev, im getting sick of this, Im not knocking the MK6, I think its a great motor. Im just putting across my opinion on what is a public forum ffs.

Offline VWKev

• I live here
« Reply #77 on: 07 July 2009, 14:15 »

Kev, im getting sick of this, Im not knocking the MK6, I think its a great motor. Im just putting across my opinion on what is a public forum ffs.

What was wrong with my post ? I'm putting my point across too.

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
« Reply #78 on: 07 July 2009, 14:15 »
As a MKII owner who can not afford a MKV let alone a MKVI I find all this money flashing about very offensive. :grin:

MKV Edition 30 = Awesome
MKVI = dissapointing
R20 = Better be amazing or we're back to the world of lardy rubbish GTI's like the III and IV (In standard trim before III and IV owners start having a whinge).

Nick

Offline AlanD

• 10k hero
  • MK5 2.0T 16v
« Reply #79 on: 07 July 2009, 14:16 »
Dont get me wrong, the mk5 is still a gem of a car, its just a shame their owners were not still as classy.

:rolleyes: