Author Topic: Launch for Mk6 GTi is.....or Mk6 stuff here!  (Read 61460 times)

Offline illyun

• I live here
Re: Launch for Mk6 GTi is.....or Mk6 stuff here!
« Reply #240 on: 06 October 2008, 00:23 »
Hi Phil... haven't been on here for a while - just too busy with work - but I had to come on and catch up a bit.   :nerd: 
Mk1 GTI Campaign, Mk5 GTI Edition 30, Mk6 GTI (Coming Soon...)

Offline carl1

• I live here
« Reply #241 on: 06 October 2008, 07:27 »
I'm not touching the Mk6 GTI or  GTI-R...  I'm going to get myself a nice cheap Mk5 R32 in a couple of months and save enough money to move onto a Porcshe 911 after 12 months before selling that a year later for a Nissan GTR  :evil:    The Mk6 GTI looks a nice car but just isn't different enough to consider over my Edition 30 (thats staying in the stable permanently)... my wife likes the Mk6  GTIand I might get here one in 2010 when the price has dropped for a 12 month old one and the economic outlook is more certain/positive.  Until then, she'll have to make do with driving the Edition 30 around town while I sell her Lupo GTI and get that R32 I've been pining for since part-exing with the Edition 30 18 months ago  :cry:   :drool:

Thats exactly what ive been thinking(get r32).There are some good low milage 57 plates on vw site
GTI manual PP, now sold  :-(

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Forum addict
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed, ASK!
Re: Launch for Mk6 GTi is.....
« Reply #242 on: 06 October 2008, 12:24 »

I assume one can toggle on/off the even more silly Adaptive Distance Control system. Hopefully you would like the built-in XDS diff - It's interesting that by its inclusion, VW have acknowledged traction issues on even the standard car.

Exactly, so either set the car up properly or give it a proper mechanical Limited slip diff. All this electro safety stuff drives me nuts :laugh:

As in a Torsen or Quaife?  :wink:

....As far as I know, the Mk6 electronic diff is a 'part' of the ESP system - Don't take my words too literally please T_T :afro:

Sort of.  To be really pedantic, it is actually still part of the gearbox, but is "controlled" by the ESP/ABS system, in the same way that the Mk5 EDL (Electronic Differential Lock) is.  It basically works using "pulse width modulation" in exactly the same way as the Haldex controller - in that the "diff" itself can not "sense" the levels of torque (applied torque, wasted torque, and useable torque), like an ATB diff such as Torsen/Quaife/Peloquin can.

All I know is that my VWR-Quaife mechanical diff is truly amazing!! And I haven't even been shown its limits yet. Possibly a lot more expensive for VW to have included though.

But the Quaife is identical to Torsen - and a Torsen diff is used in the rear axles of the Audi R8 and Audi Q7, along with all centre diff applications in longitudinal mount VAG four wheel drive cars (except the Veyron, R8, and Q7).  :nerd:  :smug:  So cost really should not be an issue.
Sean - Independent Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
-----
'06/7 Golf Mk5 GTI 5dr (BWA) DSG, colour coded,

I feel like a homo

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Forum addict
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed, ASK!
« Reply #243 on: 06 October 2008, 12:27 »
There's good news and bad news for Gulfstream11  :laugh: :grin:

Can you spot what I mean ? :grin: :grin:

Erm - the current Mk5 left hookers have the alloy/rubber dead pedal!  :tongue:

Why does the light switch panel poke up into empty space?
That part of the dash looks very badly designed.

Huh - I don't see that?  :huh:

In Germany those seats might be regarded as uppercrust classy, but in the UK we know exactly what they are...
Chavtastic.

You do have a way of upseting people with your "off-beat" comments . . . .  :rolleyes:
Sean - Independent Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
-----
'06/7 Golf Mk5 GTI 5dr (BWA) DSG, colour coded,

I feel like a homo

Offline RedRobin

• Forum addict
  • BIALI Motorsport - Chief Horn Blower!
« Reply #244 on: 06 October 2008, 13:28 »
To be really pedantic, it is actually still part of the gearbox, but is "controlled" by the ESP/ABS system, in the same way that the Mk5 EDL (Electronic Differential Lock) is.  It basically works using "pulse width modulation" in exactly the same way as the Haldex controller - in that the "diff" itself can not "sense" the levels of torque (applied torque, wasted torque, and useable torque), like an ATB diff such as Torsen/Quaife/Peloquin can.

But the Quaife is identical to Torsen - and a Torsen diff is used in the rear axles of the Audi R8 and Audi Q7, along with all centre diff applications in longitudinal mount VAG four wheel drive cars (except the Veyron, R8, and Q7).  :nerd:  :smug:  So cost really should not be an issue.

....High quality info - Thanks.

I have posted this info on another forum and credited you with it: http://www.tyresmoke.net/forum/tuning-tuners/112394-vw-racings-quaife-diff.html#post1353403

So, which would I prefer? - A Haldex-style diff or a Torsen-style diff? - No brainer, the Torsen-style Quaife!

:afro:
:cool: FACEFOOK: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50?ref=tn_tnmn

Throbbin' Red VeeDub GTI Mk5 - DSG, Custom Milltek TBE, Forge Twintake, KW-V3 + Eibach ARBs, AP Racing BigBrake kit, Quaife ATB diff, Revo2

WhiteGTI

« Reply #245 on: 27 October 2008, 19:15 »

The colour of the trim is that glossy black stuff - hence why it does indeed look like there is a hole by where the light switch cluster comes up. Look at the rest of the dash, and on the door panels to see what I mean about the colour of the trim! :)

Offline Gene Hunt.

• I live here
« Reply #246 on: 02 December 2008, 08:40 »
Well it least its slower then its Mk5 last model predessescor, although it has the fancy suspention setup as the Scirroco, but what i do like the look of is the new smarter looking interia. He said that Vw reckon that each panel on the new Mk6 is different to the mk5 but in his opinion, it looks pretty much the same!.
Also confirmed  whilst i was there that the R with the v6 engine is "no more" and wont be in the GTi R later in 2009, (around Sept). That will be the 2.0 fsi tuned to 270bhp with the K04 turbo.

He confimed that this image IS of the new GTi coming.

.........hope these are the alloys they put on for the uk market ?.
Candy White ED35.

Offline ben1.8T

• I live here
« Reply #247 on: 02 December 2008, 11:31 »
Looks nice but personally if I was buying one I would wait a year and save a loads of money.  :smiley:
Golf SOLD. Replaced with a Yamaha Raptor 660 quad and loving it. This will be replaced in August with a Raptor 700. Sold the quad now got a Vectra GSI 2.5 V6 and its the nuts.

Brands Hatch massive. MEMBERSHIP ACCEPTED!

Offline Egbutt Wash

• I live here
« Reply #248 on: 02 December 2008, 11:55 »

The colour of the trim is that glossy black stuff - hence why it does indeed look like there is a hole by where the light switch cluster comes up. Look at the rest of the dash, and on the door panels to see what I mean about the colour of the trim! :)

Good point Whitegti, it's glossy black.
Where has the centre diffuser gone?  They really have cut costs.
Currently digging a bunker.

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
« Reply #249 on: 27 January 2009, 19:56 »
Having now sat in one... all I have to say is that its a wonderful cabin and defo a step up from the MKV. As for cutting cost???? Well if they have I cant spot them..... where did the cost cutting rumour start from in the first place?? A competitior?? :rolleyes: