Author Topic: Any CarPlay issues?  (Read 3270 times)

Offline greencode

• Here all the time
  • Golf R - Pure White
Any CarPlay issues?
« on: 11 February 2019, 14:04 »
I've got a March 2017 registered R and at the next service thought about splashing out and getting CarPlay activated. I've been quoted £240 from the dealership. However, they also informed me that:

"We can do the Car Play but just to advise we have experienced an issue with late 2016 registered vehicles in which yours is and some of the features may not work."

Has anybody had any experience of this?

Offline Vwjap

• I live here
Re: Any CarPlay issues?
« Reply #1 on: 11 February 2019, 18:13 »
I haven’t, but I wouldn’t pay for it personally, I don’t use it any more as it kills the Bluetooth so you can only have 1 phone connected, and I don’t bother with nav and music off my phone

Offline Ooosh

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 09 August 2019, 06:47 »
I took the plunge and purchased CarPlay for my CSS.

Quite simply the dealer can’t get it to work unfortunately. They want to try one more solution recommended by the VW technical department but if that fails I’ll be getting a refund.
CSS + McLaren 570S + Saxdor 200 + Christen Eagle

Offline Mutley75

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 09 August 2019, 20:19 »
I haven’t, but I wouldn’t pay for it personally, I don’t use it any more as it kills the Bluetooth so you can only have 1 phone connected, and I don’t bother with nav and music off my phone

CarPlay is awesome.  Out of curiosity, why use it via Bluetooth?  If you use it via the supplied USB-Lightning connector it'll charge your phone while you're using it, the phone can use the car's aerial for an enhanced mobile signal and if you're playing music (Apple Music or Spotify) which is downloaded on the phone rather than streamed, the quality is much better than it is over Bluetooth.
Golf GTi Performance Edition (2019), 5dr, DSG in Isaac Blue, Dynaudio & Brescia alloys.

Offline Clubsport S

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 09 August 2019, 20:22 »

Quite simply the dealer can’t get it to work unfortunately. They want to try one more solution recommended by the VW technical department but if that fails I’ll be getting a refund.

Hi I think the issue is the USB port connector. The CSS for some reason had a different USB port. Once that is replaced with the correct USB port CarPlay should work. Is that what the technical department are suggesting?

Offline Ooosh

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 09 August 2019, 20:31 »

Hi I think the issue is the USB port connector. The CSS for some reason had a different USB port. Once that is replaced with the correct USB port CarPlay should work. Is that what the technical department are suggesting?

Changed the USB already. Worked with Android it not apple.

Offline Clubsport S

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 09 August 2019, 20:38 »

Changed the USB already. Worked with Android it not apple.

I’m surprised if doesn’t work if the USB port has been replaced with the correct part. Do you know the part number they replaced the original with? I could possibly try and find out or perhaps someone more knowledgeable than me on here might know.

Offline Vwjap

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 09 August 2019, 21:44 »

CarPlay is awesome.  Out of curiosity, why use it via Bluetooth?  If you use it via the supplied USB-Lightning connector it'll charge your phone while you're using it, the phone can use the car's aerial for an enhanced mobile signal and if you're playing music (Apple Music or Spotify) which is downloaded on the phone rather than streamed, the quality is much better than it is over Bluetooth.

I meant on Bluetooth you can have 2 phones connected as phones (I turn off Bluetooth streaming because you don’t get message alerts which is a right PITA)

Offline Ooosh

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 10 August 2019, 09:37 »
I’m surprised if doesn’t work if the USB port has been replaced with the correct part. Do you know the part number they replaced the original with? I could possibly try and find out or perhaps someone more knowledgeable than me on here might know.

I'll ask the question.

Offline Ooosh

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 19 August 2019, 14:18 »

Sorted at last!