Author Topic: Which bridge camera? Canon G12 or Nikon P7000?  (Read 586 times)

Offline jamie_pyrite

• I live here
Which bridge camera? Canon G12 or Nikon P7000?
« on: 13 November 2011, 19:44 »
So I have a Canon 50D but I'm looking for a bridge camera - Something I can take travelling with me so I'm not lugging around a heavy DSLR with lenses! I've narrowed it down to two, the Canon G12 and the Nikon P7000.

Now, being a Canon shooter for years I'm really tempted by the G12, mainly by it's control system. It's going to be one of the most important things when deciding which to go for as I need something that I can very quickly and easily change manual settings (rather than in a lot of compacts where it involves mucking about with buttons, etc.)

So what are people's opinions on these two cameras? Can you recommend any other similar cameras I should check out?

From my research so far, it seems the Canon wins on speed and controls, whereas the Nikon wins on image quality, low light handling and the extra 60mm focal length.

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
Re: Which bridge camera? Canon G12 or Nikon P7000?
« Reply #1 on: 14 November 2011, 09:13 »
Tough one.  Go play with them back to back - it's the only way you'll sort it out.

Having played with the G12 I'd still be tempted by the Nikon because it doesn't have that stupid 'it will break' flip out screen.

Mind you, it's something I can imagine I would find incredibly useful if I had it.  :grin:
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline Ridg

• I live here
  • TDI - Soot Happens!
Re: Which bridge camera? Canon G12 or Nikon P7000?
« Reply #2 on: 14 November 2011, 10:01 »
I've got the flip out screen on my ancient G5 it's handy for shooting over the top of people, getting down low or shooting yourself, other than that the view finder / live view is all you need.

in terms of the two, it's a touch choice the nikon has a better zoom and low light so depends what you want from it.

If you can increase the budget what about a four thirds system, like the lumix?

In terms of portability you might also want to consider the superzoom (20x) travel compacts, all of these now have manual control and pretty good handling, plus you'd be able to get waterproof housings for them if you want to experiment underwater or extreme conditions.

On the flip side, what about a cheap (plastic body) entry level canon (as you've already got the lenses) this would be slightly bigger than a bridge but they are so light; 1000D 502g, G12 402g, Nikon 7000 310g as a guide a king size mars is just under a 100g and you can get a 1000D for less than the G12

Personally if I was looking for something portable I'd be looking at a plastic body DSLR or four thirds as I wouldn't want to be in a situation where I was thinking "If only I had my main camera"

A last alternative is get some light / portable lenses and decent camera bag for the 50D, I've taken my D300 skiing, round eastern Europe, mountain biking and walking with a decent bag you don't notice the weight as much and you've got all the features you want.