Author Topic: tony_ack - 16v restore  (Read 21729 times)

Offline tony_ack

• I live here
Re: tony_ack - 16v restore
« Reply #30 on: 26 October 2010, 22:51 »
Another mileage-heavy month, but the car lapped them up like usual.

Drove from Sheffield to London last week and back again, averaging 39mpg on the way down and 35mpg on the way back (M1 Friday traffic slowed me down on the way back). The day after I needed to go to pick up the Corrado, but decided to take the girlfriend's Rover 25, as it only has 46000 miles on the clock, and I didn't want to pile more on the Golf. 10 miles down the M1, and with steam pouring out of the bonnet, I realised I had made a mistake... We limped back home in the Rover, swapped for the Golf and it did another round trip to Milton Keynes and back.

I've not driven it this week as I'm getting my kicks from the Rado at the moment, but the missus has adopted it while the Rover is at the garage (I have a feeling she won't want to give it back).

MOT is due next month though, so not looking forward to that! Can't see why it would fail, but there is always something. Luckily a place in Sheffield does an unbiased test for £50, with a free retest if it is within 14 days (and you can take the car away in that time and repair yourself).

Only other thing that has happened is the central locking pump finally giving up the ghost. The car was locking me in again (seemed to lock okay, but then wouldn't open) so I had another fiddle with the pump. While it was out of the casing I head a fizzing sound from the pump - like it was about to set on fire - so I disconnected. I've found a replacement now and am just waiting for it to arrive - until then it is old skool 'push the catch down when you close the door' rules.
1992 VW Golf MK2 GTI
1995 VW Corrado VR6

Offline tony_ack

• I live here
« Reply #31 on: 05 November 2010, 10:54 »
MOT day today! just sent it off and told the missus not to come back without an MOT for the next 12 months!

The place it is going apparently has no interest in failing cars just to get the repair work, and prides itself on this. Also, I can take the car away and re-present for a free retest within 14 days, so I shouldn't have too much to worry about. MOT actually expires on 17th anyway...
1992 VW Golf MK2 GTI
1995 VW Corrado VR6

Offline tony_ack

• I live here
« Reply #32 on: 05 November 2010, 17:56 »
FAIL!

N/S bottom ball joint was worn and dangerous (oops explains the knocking on the front suspension). They quoted me a repair, and I took it - it wasn't really worth the hassle of me taking the car away, finding space to do the repairs and then taking it back, when they could fit it in this afternoon and retest at the same time.

All done now, she's good for another 12 months! Other than the fail on the ball joint, there were no advisories
1992 VW Golf MK2 GTI
1995 VW Corrado VR6

Offline tony_ack

• I live here
Re: tony_ack - 16v restore - RETIRED FROM DAILY SERVICE
« Reply #33 on: 06 November 2010, 18:10 »
The car has now officially retired from daily service! The Corrado is newer and better suited over the winter (mmmm... heated leather), even if it is a bit thirsty.

The Golf is now safely and securely tucked away in a dry stoarge space. I'll probably take it out again for a weekend soon as I still have 1/2 tank of fuel that needs using
1992 VW Golf MK2 GTI
1995 VW Corrado VR6

Offline tony_ack

• I live here
« Reply #34 on: 18 January 2011, 21:11 »
Guess who's back on the road again!?

The Corrado has been good over winter but the near side ball joint has been knocking since I got it (must have caught it off the Golf, see above..)

It came up on the list of notes when the Corrado was serviced, so I decided to book it in to get that, a new track rod and a wishbone bush fitted. The Corrado has never felt particularly tight at the front end, so hopefully this will sort it.

I booked it in for 28th Jan, but since then the ball joint has taken a turn for the worse and the car weaves slightly, but disconcertingly from side to side, so I think it's on its last legs. I'm worried it may not make it to 28th, so I decided to swap it for the Golf.

The Golf hasn't moved for 2 months, so the battery was flat as expected. My missus went to pick it up from the storage place but couldn't get it started and ended up calling the AA. It turned out the alarm/immobiliser had messed itself up and needed to be reset.

Once the alarm was disarmed, it started on the first touch of the key!

I can't believe how much I've missed driving it... it's a lot more rugged than the Corrado, it feels completely square, and has a few more rattles, but it has put the Corrado's (albeit comprimised) handling to shame. That said, the Golf still needs its wheel alignment sorting after the ball joint was replaced. And that noise once it passes 4500rpm...

Even though it's nowhere near as quick as the VR6, it feels so good taking it all the way to the limiter.

One downside though - the driver's side electric window has stopped working - it was working fine before it went into storage, so hopefully it will free up when I look at it. I have a spare, nearly new regulator but I promised it to walchy a couple of days ago, so want to try and fix the one on the car if possible.

Also... stay tuned for an announcement about a debut appearance in a national publication..!
1992 VW Golf MK2 GTI
1995 VW Corrado VR6