Author Topic: Timing Chain tensioner Failure List (timing issue)- Please Update with Your Info  (Read 362450 times)

Offline ScreenMachine

• Not said much yet
Thanks guys.

Yeah having come home and thought about it, I came to the same conclusion - just treat it like changing a timing belt/tensioner.

Hm, I sort of get what he was saying regarding the parking on a hill theory. But it would only be if you had an automatic and didn't use the actual parking break, or if you had a manual, and held it on the engine *before* applying the handbrake, wouldn't it?

The way I always park on a hill is apply the handbrake first, then put the car in gear after. That way the weight of the vehicle is held on the handbrake with the engine only acting as a brake should the handbrake fail for some reason.

Wouldn't the torque forces while driving be far, far greater than the static weight of the car, though, or have I completely misunderstood the theory of what is being claimed?

I hear what you're saying re finding a younger vehicle, but it's far cheaper to do the chain/tensioner job as a 2012 vehicle was about £4K more when I looked recently.
« Last Edit: 15 February 2016, 22:29 by ScreenMachine »

Offline Rgdogg

• GTI forum regular
I got mine done under warranty, had no issue at all, but I think it's down to the dealer.
Gti, Candy White, 3door, DSG, Leather, Rear LEDs, Bluefin, Milltek, vwr intake, Focal speakers.

Offline ScreenMachine

• Not said much yet
These parts cost approximately £400 to change at an indy, I had mine updated as a precaution a couple of years ago (59 plate). The chain hadn't stretched but for extra precaution they changed the chain, tensioner and cover plate. Been fine since. I just treated it as a cambelt upgrade.

Could I ask which indie you used? Were you pleased with their work?

Offline Gtiless

• Here all the time
Thanks guys.

Yeah having come home and thought about it, I came to the same conclusion - just treat it like changing a timing belt/tensioner.

Hm, I sort of get what he was saying regarding the parking on a hill theory. But it would only be if you had an automatic and didn't use the actual parking break, or if you had a manual, and held it on the engine *before* applying the handbrake, wouldn't it?

The way I always park on a hill is apply the handbrake first, then put the car in gear after. That way the weight of the vehicle is held on the handbrake with the engine only acting as a brake should the handbrake fail for some reason.

Wouldn't the torque forces while driving be far, far greater than the static weight of the car, though, or have I completely misunderstood the theory of what is being claimed?

I think how it was explained to me, it is if the car moves on the hill and when the engine is off the gradient tries to turn the engine backwards. So parking facing downhill in 1st gear =parking facing uphill in reverse to avoid the possibility of this? 

Offline gaurav_aidasani

• GTI forum regular
Brunswick garage in North London
I think it was around £350 when I did it but have heard another member asked for a quote recently and they found out it was lucrative so tried to charge him higher !

If you read through the threads you should be able to find a few recommendations

Offline ScreenMachine

• Not said much yet
Thanks, I'll have a look through, they are a little out of my neck of the woods, although ultimately I'd go to the place which has the best reputation and equipment to do it properly.

Offline BlinGTIes

• Not said much yet
Hi fellow GTI'ers,

I've been skimming through the thread - which is very long and informative.  I've got a 61 plate GTI with 61k on the clock and full VW service history.  Bought it 6 weeks ago without knowing about the tensioner issues. Then started going paranoid to the point I was afraid to drive the thing!

Reading through the thread it looks like a lot of the issues affected 2009 and 2010 cars most. Just wondering if later reg cars are at just as much risk?

Thanks

Offline ScreenMachine

• Not said much yet
I'm not an expert being relatively new to this myself, but my understanding is that the chain tensioner was revised at the factory from mid-2010, so mid-2011 should have a first generation revision.

My further understanding though, is that there was a later revision of the tensioner dated sometime in 2012. Presumably there was a reason for the later part revision, so personally I wouldn't assume I was safe unless I had the last revision fitted.

That said, it's probably better than the original, I don't recall reading about as many later models after the 09/10 plates which had this problem.

Offline Gtiless

• Here all the time
Unfortunately, I have traded my Mk6 for a Mk7 yesterday,as I used to cringe every time I started it up,I feel a bit mixed about it really because I really liked my 6 and wanted to keep it for another year or so but I just couldn't live with the risk.

Good luck all the Mk6'ers and all the best.

Offline ScreenMachine

• Not said much yet
Nice. Enjoy the MK7.

Still in two minds about whether to try and pull out from the sale, or whether to just do the updated tensioner job and try not to worry.