Author Topic: 2018 Golf TCR and dealer information ?  (Read 245463 times)

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
Re: 2018 Golf TCR and dealer information ?
« Reply #1000 on: 17 September 2019, 08:23 »
A TCR with Prets, nice choice   :cool: Not many out of the flood of them on the AT with the Prets

I thought that too Jim. Guess it'll be a rarer spec choice with the price increase now too. When I spec'd the TCR, I put an Instagram poll out as I couldn't decide. I think black Pretoria versus Reifnitz was 150 to 8 in favour of the Prets.

My reason for picking the reifnitz was firstly simply liked them, the style and the matte finish, secondly they were different as already been on pretoria for last 3 years, thirdly cheaper and finally think the tyres on the reifnitz would suit my daily driving need far more than the cups on the pretoria - Given them stats imagine my thinking was of the many.
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #1001 on: 17 September 2019, 09:35 »
Yes, I don't mind the Reifinitz wheels and as you say, it is a new wheel for the Mk7.5. I've detailed a fair few cars and matt black are the worst to work on if they haven't been cleaned properly so I'm not really a fan of black wheels in genera. For me, I'd probably get a TCR with DCC on the 18's and then upgrade to some nice 19s.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #1002 on: 17 September 2019, 10:13 »
A TCR with Prets, nice choice   :cool: Not many out of the flood of them on the AT with the Prets

I thought that too Jim. Guess it'll be a rarer spec choice with the price increase now too. When I spec'd the TCR, I put an Instagram poll out as I couldn't decide. I think black Pretoria versus Reifnitz was 150 to 8 in favour of the Prets.

My reason for picking the reifnitz was firstly simply liked them, the style and the matte finish, secondly they were different as already been on pretoria for last 3 years, thirdly cheaper and finally think the tyres on the reifnitz would suit my daily driving need far more than the cups on the pretoria - Given them stats imagine my thinking was of the many.

I phrased that poorly. 150 people were in favour of the Pretorias. The 8 in favour of the Reifnitz gave all the reasons you gave.

Wasn't wild about the Reifnitz in all the photographs I saw but liked them when I saw them in the metal. They're not too bad to clean with a wheel woolie either.

MK7 Clubsport S, 981 Cayman GT4, MK7.5 GTI TCR

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #1003 on: 17 September 2019, 12:39 »

I phrased that poorly. 150 people were in favour of the Pretorias. The 8 in favour of the Reifnitz gave all the reasons you gave.

Wasn't wild about the Reifnitz in all the photographs I saw but liked them when I saw them in the metal. They're not too bad to clean with a wheel woolie either.

On re-read can see that now and no surprise really as the Pretoria are a great looking wheel I stumped up the ££ for them on my R as personally thought the R deserved them to complete the package.

Seems in reality that maybe some additional thinking had most eventually tick the reifnitz box

Made a point of really looking at the caps on the two pure grey (one with Pretoria and one with reifnitz) that saw at weekend and agree that the caps match the reifnitz really well so be no need for me to replace them now and its just another little unique touch - however if had settled for Pretoria then gloss black caps would be a much better choice.
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #1004 on: 17 September 2019, 12:55 »
Yes, I don't mind the Reifinitz wheels and as you say, it is a new wheel for the Mk7.5. I've detailed a fair few cars and matt black are the worst to work on if they haven't been cleaned properly so I'm not really a fan of black wheels in genera. For me, I'd probably get a TCR with DCC on the 18's and then upgrade to some nice 19s.

Seen a couple on you tube with own wheel choice and each worked really well, - its an easy car to dress with new rims and some great choices out there.

Like the Reifnitz (actually like that name is the town where the VW yearly gathering is) and that car receiving is going to be as close to the concept now also, so staying stock is not the worst thing this time around. 

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #1005 on: 17 September 2019, 13:15 »

Seen a couple on you tube with own wheel choice and each worked really well, - its an easy car to dress with new rims and some great choices out there.

Like the Reifnitz (actually like that name is the town where the VW yearly gathering is) and that car receiving is going to be as close to the concept now also, so staying stock is not the worst thing this time around.

No at all, think you'll be very happy with your TCR, especially with the Akra exhaust  :cool:
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #1006 on: 17 September 2019, 23:27 »

The Oz wheels I have are very similar to the Pretoria. Would share a picture of them but they're boxed so this is closest example:

MK7 Clubsport S, 981 Cayman GT4, MK7.5 GTI TCR

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #1007 on: 18 September 2019, 06:33 »
Those looks great. Helped by a very clean R and big brake kit  :cool:

So Andrew @ Volkswizard has done a short sound comparison between a TCR with the new Akra and one without. Got to say, disappointed to hear there is hardly any difference between the 2 and possibly to me the one without sounds better. Guessing it could be that the latest Akra equipped one is literally brand new so would think would start to sound better once it’s fully run. But it you’d just stumped up £3k don’t think you’d be overly impressed.

What do others think?

https://youtu.be/J__kY5Jl7Ps
NOW - 330e M Sport

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #1008 on: 18 September 2019, 08:44 »
Those looks great. Helped by a very clean R and big brake kit  :cool:

So Andrew @ Volkswizard has done a short sound comparison between a TCR with the new Akra and one without. Got to say, disappointed to hear there is hardly any difference between the 2 and possibly to me the one without sounds better. Guessing it could be that the latest Akra equipped one is literally brand new so would think would start to sound better once it’s fully run. But it you’d just stumped up £3k don’t think you’d be overly impressed.

What do others think?

https://youtu.be/J__kY5Jl7Ps

Based on that video you would say stock sounds the more rortier of the two - The stock apparently was a specially tuned exhaust for the TCR so you always expected it to have its own talents.

EDIT: just listened again with some back and forth and the Akrapovic is deeper in tone and sounded better than my first listen, seems to be less overrun pops but maybe that is the part that comes with some miles?

On other videos you definitetly get more crackle and pop, this is just one, but a few on there now  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Siu2boaWPCA

The likelihood is that the stock has a few miles on it now and being only just released the Akrapovic is still settling in and so the may make a difference??

Was not overly impressed with the R when received it was definitely drowned by the Aktuator fakery but as miles were put on, the note definitely improved and I really like its deep tone and overrun abilities - its not raucous but for me a nice compliment that makes me feel like driving something different, with performance.

Other Youtube videos are a little kinder, there is some of the expected crackles on them, so maybe they more run in?

Not saying the Akrapovic goes down that same path but think its accepted that note does improve in exhausts as miles are covered

One thing not to contest is that the tips look the part, obviously not £3k the part,  :grin: but they look good regardless.

There is going to be a small group of us, some very soon, who are getting the Akrapovic so pretty sure an honest appraisal will be given.

« Last Edit: 18 September 2019, 09:14 by Hertsman »

Offline CookieMonsterGTi

• Here all the time
« Reply #1009 on: 18 September 2019, 09:09 »
I think its hard to judge from that clip as the sound quality was pretty awful. *I am listening on a laptop which may not help but still...

I think its been said before its hard to get a true/good clip of the Akrapovic but a lot of people who hear it prefer the sound overall.  Pops and crackles I am not worried about but rather the overall sound so will reserve judgement until I hear it in person.

Either way, I think its hard to justify that price no matter what it sounded like.  However, I will be happy to have it as think it will add to the looks and the overall sound (or thats the expectation).  Not so worried about pops and bangs :)

Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG
19" 'Reifnitz' Alloys Including DCC
Climate Windscreen
Panoramic Sunroof
90% Rear Tinted Glass