Author Topic: GTi's 5th Birthday - should I now move onto an R?  (Read 11734 times)

Offline Ryan90GTI

• I live here
Re: GTi's 5th Birthday - should I now move onto an R?
« Reply #20 on: 08 January 2019, 23:44 »
ROI Clubsports all had the alcantara steering wheel and the proper seats - same as U.K. spec. Irish cars spec doesn’t differ at all much from U.K. spec. In fact I think Irish cars tend to be slightly better spec’d.

That wheel and especially those awful seats have been retrofitted by previous owner(s)!

I must admit, when I first saw the seats I thought 'cheap retrim/retro fit' then the steering wheel on the white one. RUN. A. MILE.

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #21 on: 09 January 2019, 08:01 »
...And why is the white one missing the alcantara steering wheel?
They are ROI imports, so non UK spec and not 'numbered'.
Sorry mate you’re wrong about them being from Ireland. The speedo is clearly in miles and kph which rules that out instantly. And as Joe says all IRISH spec clubsports came with the alcantara wheel.  :whistle:
All (not just VW) ROI cars came default specced with KPH clocks from 2005, however at the point of order you can still request MPH clocks. These cars are Irish imports, a chap on Pistonheads bought one and VW Ireland confirmed. They can (and do) differ & vary to UK spec.
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 09 January 2019, 08:54 »
Think the thread has gone way off topic!

I was merely pointing out that a CS might be suitable for the OP instead of an R and saw those 2 with del miles. Whether they are Uk or alternative spec, whether you like or hate the interior, they are Clubsport 40's.

NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Online Carbon VW

• Here all the time
« Reply #23 on: 09 January 2019, 13:31 »
Sorry mate you’re wrong about them being from Ireland. The speedo is clearly in miles and kph which rules that out instantly. And as Joe says all IRISH spec clubsports came with the alcantara wheel.  :whistle:

All (not just VW) ROI cars came default specced with KPH clocks from 2005, however at the point of order you can still request MPH clocks. These cars are Irish imports, a chap on Pistonheads bought one and VW Ireland confirmed. They can (and do) differ & vary to UK spec.
I disagree on your above points but happy to leave it at that as way off topic. Defo not from the republic.
Mk7 CSG GTi 6MF Stage 1, CSS backbox

Offline Ryan90GTI

• I live here
« Reply #24 on: 09 January 2019, 14:24 »
Either way. Clubsport > R  :wink:

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #25 on: 09 January 2019, 14:28 »

I disagree on your above points but happy to leave it at that as way off topic. Defo not from the republic.

I wouldn't say "Deffo". The Clubsports were a strange one here. Ordinarily, you will never see brand new cars coming into Ireland with MPH clocks. It just doesn't happen. But I think VW Ireland must have, for some reason, brought in a few cars with MPH clocks and retailed a few of them in the bigger dealerships here. I remember seeing a white Clubsport with the black prets and buckets up on Carzone for about a year or more - it was retailing at well over 50k!! And it had MPH clocks. Perhaps they spec'd MPH clocks on them to make it easier to re-export them over to the UK for a broader market if they failed to sell here.

MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #26 on: 09 January 2019, 14:32 »
The 7R is a fantastic car, the 4wd is excellent, but they are very common.  I sold mine to buy a Clubsport because I wanted more exclusivity and I don't regret it!  So, 7R if you're not bothered about how common they are, or a CS if you want to remain within the GTI club. 

I think a Turmeric R on Black Prets would be pretty exclusive and look really cool too.
It’d certainly stand out from the crowd!

A Clubsport is just for us die hard GTI anoraks really. Mind you, considering it’s just a Golf I do find mine gets a lot of attention and questions asked.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Ginagee

• Here all the time
« Reply #27 on: 09 January 2019, 18:13 »
Have emailed the dealer with a few questions on the Tumeric Yellow R in question. The VW dealer is in Bury St Edmunds, part of the Marriott group. Google Reviews are a real mixed bag - bit off putting especially when buying long distance. A few reviews say they are liars when it comes to vehicle histories :shocked:. Anyone had any dealings with them?
2014 GTi Mk7 5dr Manual, Reflex Silver, PP, DNS, Dynaudio, Pano Roof.

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #28 on: 09 January 2019, 18:34 »
No, but do bear in mind that people leaving negative feedback on the internet usually have some axe to grind. Happy customers are less inclined to take the trouble, unless they think the service they've received is exceptional and out of the ordinary. You'll get a bit of a feel for their service by speaking to them, and whether or not they return phone calls promptly.

Just make sure you negotiate some money off (is the saving worthwhile compared to buying new)? And avoid their ridiculous 9.4% APR finance.
7.5 GTD

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #29 on: 09 January 2019, 19:00 »
Ginagee, the car looks a good spec on the outside, colour, wheels & roof.

As another owner of a 5 year GTi, the interior on the R looks quite bland to me, each to their own etc....

The mileage of the car seems in line with the age of the car, if it's a keeper I would thoroughly inspect it personally before spending around £30k to make sure it all adds up.
Good luck!