Author Topic: Moving cars and potentially forums!  (Read 1886 times)

Offline AJP

• Just got here
Moving cars and potentially forums!
« on: 03 August 2019, 23:00 »
Alright people  :smiley:

My mk5 GTI project came to a premature end this year, and while I’m currently getting by with a stop-gap 04 Bora, I think in a couple of months I’ll be ready for my next proper purchase.

I’m guessing I’ll know one or two of you on here - I’m a mod over on the mk5 forum, and spent a couple of decades on the usual VAG forums. Not really big into ‘the scene’ per se but love being part of the discussion, and learning lots along the way. 

So the current position is missing my mk5. It got a tap on a roundabout, and unfortunately that tap was directly on my nearside front wheel. Long story short, total loss. It was pretty close to being perfect (to me) - only thing missing was a k04. The Bora was bought soon after to get me back on the road, and to be fair it’s served me well, although the wet passenger footwell and stabbing memories of the car I’m missing just won’t go away  :rolleyes:

I’m weighing things up. If I could get back into a mk5 that’d had all the boring preventative maintenance done the same as my old one, there’d be no hesitation. But obviously there’s one thing knowing your car down to every last bolt you’d replaced, and another thing buying something similar, of a similar age, that is only theoretically in the same league. If it’s another mk5 it’ll only be an ed30 or Pirelli. And boy don’t those things hold value?! That money is close to 8P S3, which in turn is close to mk6 R, which naturally got me looking at mk7 GTIs and Cupra 280s. The Cupra makes more sense on paper, but the emotive and less rational side of me tells me I need another GTI.

Whether it’s an ed30 or a mk7, hopefully in a couple of months I’ll find something decent. In the meantime I’ll be doing lots of reading on here, primarily on the mk7, so I’m hopefully in a good place to pick and choose when the time comes. Cheers  :smiley:

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
Re: Moving cars and potentially forums!
« Reply #1 on: 04 August 2019, 12:27 »
Hi and welcome  :smiley:

Hopefully you'll be able to find something suitable. In the meantime if there's any Mk7 specific questions you need answering, it's this way

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?board=117.0
7.5 GTD

Offline AJP

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 04 August 2019, 13:15 »
Hi and welcome  :smiley:

Hopefully you'll be able to find something suitable. In the meantime if there's any Mk7 specific questions you need answering, it's this way

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?board=117.0

Thank you  :smiley: I’ll keep on reading up and doing my homework

Offline thatSamaritan

• Just got here
« Reply #3 on: 06 August 2019, 14:56 »
 And boy don’t those things hold value?! That money is close to 8P S3, which in turn is close to mk6 R, which naturally got me looking at mk7 GTIs and Cupra 280s. The Cupra makes more sense on paper, but the emotive and less rational side of me tells me I need another GTI.

Whether it’s an ed30 or a mk7, hopefully in a couple of months I’ll find something decent. In the meantime I’ll be doing lots of reading on here, primarily on the mk7, so I’m hopefully in a good place to pick and choose when the time comes. Cheers  :smiley:
[/quote]

Haha love how it started with an ed30 then you slowly led yourself to a MK7 GTi  :grin:

Offline tom500

• Just got here
« Reply #4 on: 01 September 2019, 22:20 »
Welcome to the site.