Author Topic: Ceramic coating  (Read 6235 times)

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
Re: Ceramic coating
« Reply #10 on: 28 January 2019, 11:02 »
I had the option of Kamikaze Enrei versus Gtechniq but elected Gtechniq Crystal Serum Ultra as the warranty was 9 years versus 5 and costs were not far apart. I rationalised that in the event that I sell the car, any time remaining on the warranty would be of greater appeal to a buyer.
A slight word of caution about the Gtechniq warranty. For it to remain in tact you have to take your car back to a Gtechniq accredited detailer every year and pay to have it inspected and topped up.

With Kamikaze's latest products (Zipang and Miyabi), once it's on, it's on, no need to bother with top-ups or inspections etc. Also you get self-healing when used together.

I agree completely, the cost of outlay is nothing in comparison with how much it will make the car more desirable come the time to sell. But best of all is the protection, a quick wash and the car will literally look brand new again. I've seen cars that are 2-3 years old with ceramic coats that still look brand new.  :smiley:

SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 28 January 2019, 15:40 »
First I've heard of that about gtechniq and my detailer is an accredited applier too and he's never mentioned it. With the ceramic coating it doesn't need topped up and like kamikaze once it's on its on.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Online jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 28 January 2019, 16:14 »
Maybe he should have:
https://gtechniq.com/guarantee
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 28 January 2019, 16:23 »
Just checked and yes it needs to go back. Maybe he hasn't mentioned anything because I get it washed by him during the winter months. Either way it's no hardship to just call in for him to have a look.

Offline Crockers

• Not said much yet
« Reply #14 on: 28 January 2019, 18:55 »
Mine has a coating of IGL Kenso. Fantastic.

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 28 January 2019, 22:36 »
I had the option of Kamikaze Enrei versus Gtechniq but elected Gtechniq Crystal Serum Ultra as the warranty was 9 years versus 5 and costs were not far apart. I rationalised that in the event that I sell the car, any time remaining on the warranty would be of greater appeal to a buyer.
A slight word of caution about the Gtechniq warranty. For it to remain in tact you have to take your car back to a Gtechniq accredited detailer every year and pay to have it inspected and topped up.

With Kamikaze's latest products (Zipang and Miyabi), once it's on, it's on, no need to bother with top-ups or inspections etc. Also you get self-healing when used together.

I agree completely, the cost of outlay is nothing in comparison with how much it will make the car more desirable come the time to sell. But best of all is the protection, a quick wash and the car will literally look brand new again. I've seen cars that are 2-3 years old with ceramic coats that still look brand new.  :smiley:

Yeah, I'm aware of it and my detailer does an annual pre-winter hibernation prep for me and takes care of things like that then.

Actually, you prompted me to look at the warranty paperwork and I noticed this:

Please note guarantees are non-transferable and can only be redeemed by the original purchaser on the car initially registered.

What conceivable reason is there for not allowing transfer of the warranty if you've upheld the maintenance schedule and invested in their product. I don't recall seeing that before and I read the terms and conditions. No points for guessing the coating I won't be installing on future cars.

MK7 Clubsport S, 981 Cayman GT4, MK7.5 GTI TCR

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
« Reply #16 on: 29 January 2019, 07:08 »
First I've heard of that about gtechniq and my detailer is an accredited applier too and he's never mentioned it. With the ceramic coating it doesn't need topped up and like kamikaze once it's on its on.
Im thinking of getting one of my cars done. Could i enquire who you used as you seem happy with the result. Thanks Geoff.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Mikea

• Not said much yet
« Reply #17 on: 29 January 2019, 18:13 »

you also have to register the coating with the serial number supplied by the detailer, which is only supplied by a accredited Gtechniq detailer.
Sold 2021 : 2016 5dr GTi Clubsport Edition 40 DSG - No. 403
Tornado Red, Dynamic Chassis Control, Rear View Camera and 19" Brescia Alloys

Up! Gti Red 5 door, park and cruise, city emergency pack, climate control and 5 year warranty

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #18 on: 29 January 2019, 23:28 »
Yeah done all that 👍

Offline Mike J

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #19 on: 02 February 2019, 13:50 »
I had my car ceramic coated from new by one if the best companies in the business.
http://www.envycarcare.co.uk/envy-detailing/ceramic-coating/
That was over two years ago and its still perfect, the lifetime of the coating is an unknown but expected to be 5-8years.
Pics on here if your interested.

Im not a car cleaner and had Envy clean the car until mid summer last year when I invested in my own tools and began to learn how to make it snow!!! Only done it once so not posting a pic cuz it needs another go.

To acheive the best finish possible the VE dealer must not be allowed to touch the exterior surface car. Why because it is covered with minute steel particles accumulated during its rail transport to the port. Mine was washed five times before any surface work was undertaken.
Everything, paintwork, under wheel arches, leather seats and all interior and glass was cleaned and treated as part of the service and it didnt cost as much as some others have paid for just exterior treatment.