Author Topic: v6 4 motion , few niggles to sort!  (Read 721 times)

Offline kniterider

• I live here
  • had most, sold most and often buy more!
v6 4 motion , few niggles to sort!
« on: 14 July 2015, 22:06 »
hi , had plenty of golfs , of most mks but have been away from them for a fair while! , just picked up a cheap as chips mk4 4motion , 53 plate 3 door in reflex silver, drives spot on ,few body issues to sort which ill do in time, main thing thats annoying that I have to look into is the display in the centre of the dash ( the one that would normally give trip computer / fuel / mpg etc ) none of this seems to illuminate / work , is there a fuse to check or something simple to looks at first, not back home till the weekend so cant get my vag com on it till then. Any ideas of things to check when i have time to kill in the evenings this week? also would like to change the locks / barrels but keep the exisiting key fob / for immobilizer reasons , is this just a case of buying a 2nd hand blade / steering lock barrel and door barrel set and fitting?

thanks for any help

cheers

Gaz

Offline Mr_Orange

• I live here
  • MK4 GTi Turbo Exclusive 150 AUM
Re: v6 4 motion , few niggles to sort!
« Reply #1 on: 20 July 2015, 18:52 »
Nice find ;) Got any pics?
Not sure about the clocks. That's an lcd display. Maybe time for an upgrade? Perhaps ask Wazzer as he's just stripped down a set of clocks.
The keys should be fairly straight forward. The immob chip is in the blade side of the key. Do some digging on stripping the key down.
Not sure about ignition barrel. I guess its do-able but there's bound to be security measures built in.
The door barrels are v.easy to swap out. I'd suggest you delete them as a security measure instead ;)
The tailgate barrel is easy to pop out, but the mechanism fairly fiddly and fragile. Make sure the replacement barrel isn't seized ;) Worth giving the handle and wiper motor a good look over while you're in there too. Look about and I'm sure you'll find a guide.
Have fun! :)

Build thread clicky