Author Topic: Formula 1 - Silverstone 2020  (Read 3490 times)

Offline Mag_Pie

• GTI forum regular
Formula 1 - Silverstone 2020
« on: 21 August 2019, 11:58 »
I'm toying with the idea of going to Silverstone next year for the F1.  Has anyone been before and got any info or tips on how best to enjoy the experience?

If I can stomach the ticket prices then I was thinking of just going down for race day and using the park and ride to get to and from the circuit, ideally an overnight stay would be great but places within a sensible distance are booked up already!!!

Also, in terms of ticket types I'm thinking of a grandstand to have some form of cover available, I'd be going with my Dad so a little bit of luxury might be appreciated, but apart from going for the race what else is there to see and do on the day?

Offline rajb

• Here all the time
Re: Formula 1 - Silverstone 2020
« Reply #1 on: 23 August 2019, 08:16 »
I was there last year but didn't get a chance to go again this year.

Am contemplating next year too.

We were in Stowe B which meant could see them coming down the Hanger straight, going round Stowe and then heading down towards Vale. It is an open stand though but were lucky it was a glorious day of sunshine.

There's stuff to do throughout the day though as you can head to the village area as there are things to do there. It's a good walk round too and plenty of places to buy food/drink.

You get to see the support races, drivers parade and the red arrows fly pass.

The atmosphere is superb though and it was definitely something I'd recommend to do at least once for the experience.

Offline Mag_Pie

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 23 August 2019, 16:21 »
Thanks for that, it does sound tempting.  Are you still able to walk around the track between races?  I've seen a ticket add-on called Inner Track that lets you get to the inside area of the track, I just wondered if you went in to this area would you be stuck there until that particular race had finished if you get me?

Offline rajb

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 24 August 2019, 09:01 »
You can walk round the whole track to other stands and stalls etc whenever you wish. I didn't go to the inner track so unsure on access to there. I'm not sure I would worry about that if you have decent grandstand tickets.

Offline Mag_Pie

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 04 September 2019, 20:22 »
Brilliant, thanks rajb  :smiley:

Offline rajb

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 05 September 2019, 12:39 »
Brilliant, thanks rajb  :smiley:

No problem. Glad I could help. I wouldn't mind going again next year but then I'd like to go to Spa as an alternative too.

Offline Dr Mike Oxgreen

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 16 October 2019, 14:46 »
The best viewing places (with covered grandstands) are Stowe and Copse.  The slower corners (such as Luffield) don't allow you to see F1 cars at their best, because they are slow-speed corners where the cars aren't generating any downforce, so they're just crawling around.

If you're going on race day there won't be much chance to walk around unless you enjoy playing sardines with lots of other fans - even between races you won't see much of the track.

By far the best way to experience Formula 1 at Silverstone is to go on Friday, when you will get two hour and a half sessions of practice, you can go and sit in whichever grandstand you want, and if you go to the Becketts/Maggotts section you're fairly close to the track, and the cars are at high speed.  Then watch the race on TV, in the comfort of your own home, with the benefit of commentary.

And don't forget that Silverstone is an airfield, which means that it's very flat, with no hills surrounding it, so you will experience the full effects of any wind and rain.  Even if the forecast predicts 30c and blazing sunshine.  If you choose a grandstand with a roof, the wind and rain will probably come at you horizontally, from the front.

Offline Mag_Pie

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 11 November 2019, 14:49 »
Great info, thanks for that!